Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know im a newb, but ive been researching for hours on how to remove the rear axle to do an axle seal replacement, on a 1988 sj with no luck. Can anyone here give me some pointers, i have the brakes all apart just not sure how to get the axle itself out. Thanks in advance, much aprreciated.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Remove the brake line from the wheel cylinder. Remove the 4 bolts around the center of the backing plate. Pull the backing plate and all out. It is attached to the axle between the bearing and flange.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
The axle bearing (especially a stock bearing that has been in for the last decade or two) can be a bear to yank out even after all the bolts and brakes have been removed. An easier way to 'pop' the axle out of the housing is to bolt the brake drum back into place, then bolt the wheel back on. Then you use that stock jack that you will never use again after adding that suspension lift. Slide it in between the body (wheel well) and the tire and start opening the jack. Make sure the area is clear, because it could pop out with extreme force...

·
Banned
11,346 Posts
it is called a slide hammer, oldest tool in world.
want the video , see my link to utube vid on this job.

see link must after NOT MINE.

bingo axle pulls

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help, it was a bear bill was right, got it with the tire and jack method. is there anything special i need to do when reinstalling this unit

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Although the slide hammer is the correct tool for the job, I have never been able to successfully pull a Sammy axle (first time out) with one. Suzuki knew how to assemble... they just didn't want anyone to take it apart again.

The hard work is over, now you just have to pay attention to detail.
Make sure the surfaces are clean.
Make sure you remember the seal BEFORE you start to hammer it back in (experiance...).
Make sure the inner splines are lining up as you slide the axle back into place.
Make sure everything is just ready to slide into place, then whack it good in the center of the axle flange with a good ballpean hammer.
Try not to hit the threads on the flange bolts, or you will have to pull the axle again to press in new ones.

Good job!
;)

·
Banned
11,346 Posts
corrosion, , the sammi is so old and so many miles, and is good
that it finally failed over 20 years later
we have no probs on 15yr kicks
and salted roads , there is no limits there to the grief.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts