Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I towed my 2010 sx4 on a dolly from California to Minnesota. Now that I'm here the awd feature isn't working and I'm fearful I have wrecked the awd due to towing. Does anyone have experience with this situation and can offer some advice? Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick reply. Is the CVT info you posted applicable to a manual transmission? I forgot to add that tidbit. Also (and embarrassingly) I'm uncertain what model I have but based on the little research it appears it is probably a Crossover. I'm going to confirm tomorrow morning when businesses are awake again.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,435 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. Is the CVT info you posted applicable to a manual transmission? I forgot to add that tidbit. Also (and embarrassingly) I'm uncertain what model I have but based on the little research it appears it is probably a Crossover. I'm going to confirm tomorrow morning when businesses are awake again.

A cvt is an automatic trans so they are different

·
Registered
853 Posts
SO I understand your's is a manual transmision (AWD-MT). By keeping the front wheels steady on the dolly (towing method A) the front part of the clutch ( that is mechanically linked to front wheels) was held steady against the rotating rear section of the coupler (in rotation by the rear wheels on the ground) ....and the friction between the 2 sections will have generated heat possibly to the point of frying the coupler....
Method B (with manual transmission in neutral) shown would have kept both parts of the coupler rotating at same speed....
It does not matter if it is a crossover, tech or whatever ....

·
Registered
853 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I play with some AWD cars and agree with LMP. The center diff is likely fried.
Many awd systems are so touchy that even running tires that don't have matching circumferences will overheat and fry diffs let alone towing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts