Suzuki Forums banner

Automatic transmission fluid

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  atttim 
#1 ·
I’m hoping someone could give me a bit of advice please,once they have stop laughing, I checked my Suzuki Alto 06 automatic transmission fluid levels, when I was doing my weekly checks, oil,water, breaks, etc etc, and it looks to me as though it’s low, well actually almost non existent, but I can’t work out where I would put the transmission fluid, The oil, The brake fluid, that’s obvious, but there doesn’t seem to be anywhere where you would put the transmission fluid,-I can’t even work it out from the owners manual, it shows where the dipstick is, but not how you would add to it.— so please help!

#2 ·
If you are checking the level with a dip stick, that is also where you would add fluid, Use a funnel.

When checking the fluid level, the transmission must be at operating temp, on a level surface and run through the gears stopping for a couple of seconds in each, then check the fluid level while idling in park.

#3 ·
Hi Cathy
If you do check any levels or anything else whilst engine running please be careful with regards to rotating components such as aux belt (fan belt) and that the electric cooling fan can cut in at any time,do not have any loose clothing on - especially (say) dangling hoodie drawstrings/scarves etc but even loose sleeves can also be a hazard.
Also make sure that the car is on absolutely level ground as even a slight slope will affect the dipstick reading.

#4 ·
For that year UK Alto 1.1, 2006, topping up is thru the automatic g/box dipstick hole. Use a funnel to assist poring.
Correct checking :
Engine Cold ...... ensure there is some oil showing on the dipstick below the LOW cut out mark on the dipstick. Do NOT start the engine until you have topped up the oil to the LOW cut out on the dipstick.
Note: The Auto G/box level check MUST be carried out with the Engine WARM and on level ground.
To warm up the Transmission fluid, drive the vehicle or idle the engine until normal engine temp is shown on the Engine Temperature Gauge, then drive for another additional 10 minutes.
Checking The Level : At Engine Normal Working Temp
1 Park vehicle on level ground
2 Apply Parking Brake, start engine in P (Park). Let engine idle/tickover for Two Minutes. Keep engine running at idle during the check.
3 With your foot on the Brake Pedal, move the gear selector lever through each gear/range, pausing for approx Three Seconds in each gear/range. Then move the gear/range lever back to the P (park) position
4 Remove the dipstick, clean it, replace the dipstick ensuring it's Fully Seated in the dipstick tube., then pull out the dipstick, checking both sides of the dipstick to read the LOWEST oil level showing between the two High and Low cut marks on the dipstick.
5 Add just enough oil thru the dipstick hole ensuring the oil is NOT above the upper cut out (Full) mark on the dipstick
The reason for all this palaver is that the gearbox oil expands considerably when at normal engine working temperature.
ENJOY .....lol