Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an automatic Suzuki Vitara All Grip, it's a 2016 model and twice I've had this issue with it. So I parked the car outside my house, turned the ignition off and got out the car. Realised I was taking up 2 spots so wanted to move the car forward. So I got back in the car but didn't bother shutting the door (as I just literally wanted to move it forward slightly) but I couldn't get the car to start. The brake felt completely locked. I couldn't press it down at all and it was coming up on the dashboard saying something like "Press Shift Lock P". The car was already in park and I couldn't change the gear anyway because that felt like it was locked as well. I wondered if maybe it was a safety feature and because I had my car door open, that's why it happened (but the time this happened before, the car door was shut - I was stuck in traffic that time). So I left it for 5 minutes, got back in the car, still wouldn't start and still saying the same thing "Press Shift Lock P". This time the car doors wouldn't even lock. So I left it for 20 minutes then went back and it was all fine.

Any idea what this could be? It feels as if I've just confused the car by turning the ignition off and then back on again so quickly.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
and doing it with the door open wouldn't have helped, they are funny like that, theres safety "features" that annoy the hell out of me as well.

If you had pressed the manual shift lock release button (check the handbook) this would have reset the lockout.

·
Registered
197 Posts
It’s the brake. I get it on my 2019 model but only after several days. The ECU can’t figure out if you’re in P when the servo loses the vacuum pressure. You may have a problem with your servo if it happens that quickly or the Brake switch. Check the mat isn’t interfering with the pedal too.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I should add that I did the shift lock release and tried moving the shifter the first couple of times until I figured it out.

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
ahh, if its that problem, its an "ass off the seat" press on the pedal before it senses the pedals applied and unlocks the starter system. Vacuum will bleed off reasonably fast. The servos hold vacuum for a day, maybe 2. They certainly won't as the car gets older.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts