Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stock 87 samurai and would like to put automatic locking rear diffs on it. I am pretty good with a wrench is this something that anyone can do or should I get someone to do it for me. I don't want air lockers (too much money) so I thought this would be the way to go. What bands would you recomend? Anything you could offer would be great.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Bands...
I am partial to Led Zepplin, AC-DC and Metallica...

But if you are asking about brands of autolockers, look into Lockright and Detroit E-Z Lockers. Installing the locker isn't the tough part. It's getting the backlash correct on the gears when putting everything back together.

I always suggest working with someone that knows first. Learn from their experiances. Backlash settings are an artform. When you get it right, it is beautiful. If you get it wrong it can turn out trash...

·
Registered
193 Posts
Petroworks used to sell the Detroit, and it's what I've got. Detroit no longer makes the Samurai locker, and PW now offers the Lock-Right by Richmond Gear. Based on users' reports, they're pretty similar. The version WITHOUT the replacement side gears seem to work better -- reuse your OEM ones.
There's also a newcomer, the Yukon Spartan. Too soon to tell, unless someone with direct experience is willing to opine. AFAIK, these are the only two options for "lunchbox" lockers. TrailTough has a great intoductory price on the Spartan. I'd call Brent (@TT) and ask about them -- he'll tell it straight. You can google for comparisons between the two.

Edit: I chose to put my locker in the rear 'cause I'm climbing when I lose traction. In the rear it's full-time and does affect daily driving, so I've learned to adjust my driving style to accommodate. I put a Limited-Slip in the front so that steering would be less affected, even with power steering. Also, I'm concerned that, on a daily driver, a rear LSD would wear out quickly and they are no longer available.

Edit 2: Another factor to consider is that the 22-spline Samurai front axles are not as tough as the 26-spline rear axles. With a front locker, Trail-Tough's Double-Tough front axles might be a good choice.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Or Up Front?

I too have been discussing Lockers with the local crawlers. Wife hates crawling so I'm limited to the dunes at Little Sierra Ok. and beachs at South Padre Island. Also redictulus snow drifts the past two winters! So for these reasons I'm thinking of putting the lockers in my front diff? That way I can pull thru with the engine weight over the wheels and they do nothing on dry pavement with the hubs unlocked. Thoughts? And yes a couple of guys who have installed lockers would assist :)

Ken T.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
First locker in front is a great plan for daily driver. That's how I started...

A reason to put it in the rear first would be if you do alot of climbing, where it would benefit from all the weight (pretty much the whole vehicle weight) on it with your front tires up on a ledge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts