Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 2.4lt Grand Escudo (Vitara) 108,000 kilometers.
Occasionally on forum posts it is stressed that Suzuki 3317 or Mobil 3309 are the only acceptable
fluids to be used it the Grand Vitara auto transmission.
Unfortunately I had started using Castrol Transmax Multivehicle ATF before I became enough aware of this to become concerned.
I have recently changed most of the original fluid by the multiple suck out and replace method. I estimate that there is 22% of the old fluid left.
Then I saw a comment from 2013GV which made me think perhaps I should try a reverse the situation and get as much of the Castrol ATF out as possible even though it is probably too late.
I started to search where I could source Suzuki 3317 or Mobile 3309.
Mobil 3309 appears to be only available in New Zealand in 20lt pails for $228.65 from Allied Lubricants or $278.00 from Supercheap Auto.
I also checked with a Suzuki agents parts department for Suzuki 3317, 1lt cans are $37.99 but I could get a container filled for $21.56 a Lt in their service department from their 250lt tank.
Thinking about it, I thought maybe I should just get them to replace the fluid so contacted the service dept and when I explained why I wanted the fluid changed I got the reply, “that's what we put in, (that is Castrol multivehicle ATF) any Dex III will do”
So that left me a bit dumbfounded.
Now I have to decide whether if that’s good enough for them it should be good enough for me, get 20lts of 3309 fluid and use half or more of it or find a garage that has Mobile 3309 and get them to change it.
Has anyone used Castrol Transmax Multivehicle ATF and had problems?
Is it to late to correct?
Admissions.
I will add that since the fluid change a vibration or throb a 1000 to 1100 rpm when driving in any gear has been become more noticeable. Could it be related? This vibration was previously noticeable when cold and under load as like when the steering is at full turn. It is there with the brake on but in gear at the RPM. This could be another subject.
I first used the Castrol ATF at 42,000k's after I towing another vehicle and things got a bit hot.
Hence I still had some Castrol ATF on hand and continued to use it.
I will value any comments.

·
Registered
8,259 Posts
Dex III standard (semi synthetic) is Not suitable as its not designed for slip control transmissions . You need a 3309 equivalent Such as Toyota T-IV or full synthetic dex III
Check the specs on the fluid if its 3309 or jws 3309
Valvoline Max life atf is compatible as is a synthetic dex IV
Transmax is compatible to mobil 3309 if its the multi vehicle atf

Attachments

Reactions: FishingGV

·
Registered
180 Posts
I only run Transmax. It is compatible once you go through all the loop holes to understand it's completely. The transmission is a Aisin TB-50LS / A750F. This transmission was ran in hundreds of thousands of vehicles. Suzuki has no magic setting or mixture that makes it run better/ worse.

Others will live by the Suzuki manual and tell you only manufacturer recommend fluids but I live by the fact that the manufacturers get kick back from fluid manufacturers for recommendations of some fluids.

I run Transmax only with no issue. I drain a QT and add a QT in the trans every time I do an oil change. Works fine. Ultimately it's your transmission and you should do the research needed to make you comfortable running it. If you need the piece of mind than run manufacturer recommend and pay the extra moneys.
Sorry for the rant. Not the first or last time this will come up.

·
Registered
8,259 Posts
The biggest issue is castrol makes 2 transmax variants, the multi vehicle is compatible the plain transmax isn't.

Mikebtte, you have the right stuff.......

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the specs on the fluid if its 3309
Thanks 2013GV and Mikebtte.
Castrol Transmax Multivehicle is supposed to meet the Aisin Warner JWS 3309 and Suzuki AT Oil JWS 3317 standards which why I initially used it.
As you haven't said "get it out" I'll stick with it unless someone has a disaster story.

·
Registered
8,259 Posts
The transmax multivehicle is fine, the "other" transmax isn't, if you're using the import one that says its jws 3309 it will be fine

The auto in these is pretty much bulletproof unless its abused by heavy towing without additional cooling etc. Oil change and filter screen as per the handbook recommendations is about all that's needed

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
RAV4 autos use the same fluid. There are thousands of these in NZ so the fluid can't be that hard to source.

·
Registered
8,259 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts