Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is it possible to shoehorn an automatic tranny into a Samurai, say from sidekick or geo tracker? Probably have to transplant the AT+engine together, right?

Has anyone ever done it, just to make it more big-city-friendly? (there's enough stopsigns & lights to make any stickshifter go bonkers)

·
Registered
149 Posts
Yes, it can and has been done.
I personally have no idea how it is done.

When my buddy had Petroworks do a 1.6 16v engine swap done, they asked him if he wanted to do the auto tranny as well.... he declined.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
The easiest way is to transplant a complete motor/tranny from a track/kick using large hammers on the tunnel.

But if you have any friends in the islands, you might be able to find an old auto tranny that they used in rentals. That model never made it here to the US.

You could also look for the very rare 1989 Sidekick with the 1.3 and auto tranny. It should bolt onto the stock motor. It also came with 5.63 gears in the diffs.

Just some ideas...

·
Registered
192 Posts
If the auto is about the same size as the sidekick 5sp stick you can just use a 3" body lift and save the hammer.
I would compare the two first... maybe call Hawk Suz for info. They would know. They sell entire matched pairs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts