Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My uncle has a 2002 Chevy Tracker 4x4 with an auto trans. When you put it in drive it takes off in high gear(third) and never shifts until OD. You can manually shift it to low then to second then to drive and all works fine. It just won't start off in the correct gear if you put it in drive to start with as normal. The trans doesn't slip at all. Can anyone help point him in the right direction. The trans has a tag on the side that stamped AISAN 03-72LE. Thanks in advance Kid...

·
Super Moderator
19,087 Posts
Has he done a basic fluid change yet? :huh:

A tranny additive aimed at freeing up internals could be worth a shot.

After that...it's a specialized area of (in shop) repair.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
The Aisan 03-72LE has a pair of shift solenoids that are part of the valve body assembly. Check the wiring to be sure nothing has unplugged, and if that is not the source I suspect it will be time check the valve body gasket and the shift solenoids.

·
Administrator
16,319 Posts
He can get first & second manually so that rules out the solenoids as the problem - my suspicion would be a defective or disconnected sensor, either a speed or throttle position sensor - something along those lines - one of my vehicles has the AW4 which is essentially the same transmission, and on that vehicle, the transmission controller will disable specific gears depending on which sensor has failed, allowing you to at least get the vehicle to a shop rather than leave you stranded.

Unfortunately I don't have the documentation for the Tracker, so I can't be more definitive, but I would say it's highly likely to be a "control" issue.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone. We are checking for any loose wires or connections. We have taken out the shift solenoids and checked them and they are ok. At this point we are thinking it could be the shift indicator located on the side of the trans. Please keep your suggestions coming. Again THANKS. Kid...

·
Super Moderator
19,087 Posts
Unless someone was purposely working in that or an adjacent area, it would be odd that it is an out of the blue disturbed connection issue. :huh:

Probably more important maybe is...the vehicle history as to mileage and maintenance? :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts