Suzuki Forums banner

Auto to Manual Swap…

1K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  turboguzzi 
#1 · (Edited)
I’m swapping a 4 speed auto from a 1996 4 door Geo Tracker to a manual trans from a 1996 Suzuki Sidekick 2 door.

I pulled the trans/t-case, pedals, etc. today. I’m assuming I’ll need to swap over all the electronic stuff, but is that in the whole ECM?

Coincidentally the engine from the Zuk will also end up in this Tracker.

#4 ·
You’ll need the auto ECU as well, as normally the manual ECU will not run the auto vehicle.

#6 ·
Okay, there is no TCM.

All the wires on the manual donor run into its ECM.

As far as I can tell, all that runs on the manual trans is the neutral safety (which would be in the ECM to and from the pedals, not the trans), reverse lights, and from the t-case the 4WD light.

I think all I need to do is wire up a switch to operate my reverse lights and it “should run.”

#7 ·
There seems to be some confusion here ...

I’m swapping a 4 speed auto from a 1996 4 door Geo Tracker to a 1996 Suzuki Sidekick 2 door manual.

I pulled the trans/t-case, pedals, etc. today. I’m assuming I’ll need to swap over all the electronic stuff, but is that in the whole ECM?

Coincidentally the engine from the Zuk will also end up in this Tracker.
Your initial post says you're swapping the automatic from the Tracker to the Sidekick.

So basically I need to hunt down the under dash side of the trans/t-case plug on the Zuk and only swap that in to the Tracker?

I’ll have to go through the auto harness and see if I can eliminate any of the transmission wiring to clean it up.
In post #5, it seems the Tracker is the "destination" of the swap rather than the "source".

#8 · (Edited)
There seems to be some confusion here ...

Your initial post says you're swapping the automatic from the Tracker to the Sidekick.

In post #5, it seems the Tracker is the "destination" of the swap rather than the "source".
Sorry, hard to explain this. Tracker is the destination: automatic to manual.

I went back and re-read. I really messed up that first post.

#11 ·
Well, all I’ve gathered from searching other old posts is that I won’t need to mess with the ECM (still not sure how to deal with reverse lights and 4WD light), but I’ll need two new driveshafts.

Was really hoping this wouldn’t cost me anything, but I didn’t realize the 4 speed was longer than the 3 speed and 5 speed manual.

Plus, this 4 door is mint. If I can’t make it look amazing inside and operate well I might just leave it an auto. There’s a few things I don’t like about an auto, but whatever.

#12 ·
The manual transmission should have a reverse light switch on it, and the transfer case should have a 4WD switch on it - it should be a relatively simple matter (compared to the rest of the swap) to locate the wires, if necessary, extend them, and connect them to the relevant switches.

#13 ·
@fordem diff ratios different?

#17 ·
89-98 Trackick gear ratios

Years....2 or 4 door...Engine type...Transmission...Axle ratio
89 2 1.3L carb. 5 speed man. 5.625
89-95 2 1.6L TBI 5 speed man. 5.125
89-95 2 1.6L TBI 3 speed auto 4.625
91 4 1.6L TBI 5 speed man. 5.375
91 4 1.6L TBI 3 speed auto 4.625
92-98 4 1.6L MPFI 5 speed man. 5.125
92-98 4 1.6L MPFI 4 speed auto 5.125
94-98 2 1.6L MPFI 5 speed man. 5.125
94-98 2 1.6L MPFI 3 speed auto 4.30
94-98 2 1.6L MPFI 4 speed auto 5.125
96-98 X90 1.6L MPFI auto or man. 4.625
96-98 4 door 1.8l 16V DOHC MPFI manual or auto 5.125

4.30 gears have a 10/43 tooth count
4.625 gears have an 8/37 tooth count
5.125 gears have an 8/41 tooth count
5.375 gears have an 8/43 tooth count
5.625 gears have an 8/45 tooth count

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.