Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the Zuke but HATE the auto trans. Is a conversion a difficult process? Or is there anying out there to settle down that God-awful transmission?

·
Super Moderator
18,423 Posts
What year? :huh:

Given the task of purchasing and installing the needed components, a "trade-in" of a yours for a standard trans model would probably be the advantageous solution.

·
Registered
76 Posts
What's wrong with the auto? Ditto the post above, trade and buy a manual if you like the extra work, don't ruin a good Suzi!

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
What's wrong with the auto? Ditto the post above, trade and buy a manual if you like the extra work, don't ruin a good Suzi!
Looks like it's an american. We (the aussies) have a different auto, we got the nice 5 speed from the start where as the US got a 4 speed crappy one.. (for the V6 2.7 anyway)

·
Registered
34 Posts
The 4 speed fitted to the new GV3s in Australia is not the "Smartest" Auto in regard to how it shifts and picks the gears particularly in slow moving traffic.
Reminds me of an ancient 3 speed Hydramatic Auto fitted by General Motors to the EJ 1963 holden. Very strong box, virtually unbreakable but not very smart.
But off road the 4 speed auto does a great job.
Move it into 1st or 2nd in Low ratio and you have great control, excellent climbing capability and reasonable engine braking. Combined with the smarts in the traction control the car can goes amazing places.
I have previously converted a series 111 LWB 4 speed Manual Landrover to 3 speed Auto trans (both transmissions behind a holden 202 red motor) and off road the Auto was far more capable than the car ever was with a manual trans.
If you don't like the Auto trade for a manual car as the complexity of the conversion is a lot more than it first appears to be. You will also need to change the diff ratio's as I think the current Auto and Manual cars have different diff set ups.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Huh, that's odd. My (American) GV is has the 5spd automatic mated to the 2.7L v6. I do prefer manual on nearly any vehicle, but mine doesn't disappoint too often.

I often downshift for engine braking and treat it a little bit like a manual transmission.. Although I do wonder - why the hell can't I select 2nd gear?!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My biggest issue is the fact that when it kicks into passing gear, it hangs there, so I'm driving down the huighway for 2-3 miles at 5,000 rpms and I can't usually get it to kick out of it, unless I completely let off the gas for a bit. Not great in traffic. Apparently, this is an issue (correct me if I'm wrong) for the USA 5-spd auto. I like the way the Zuke is set up now, great stereo, FlowMaster exhaust, etc. except for the flighty tranny. I do downshift manully a lot as I live in a very rural area with dirt roads, mud, snow, etc. I have the base AWD model and it does remarkably well in adverse conditions. It shakes off deep, mud, blizzards and all with aplomb. That is why I'd rather convert it than sell it.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Well, clearly there's something wrong with it and you might want to try and fix it before doing anything drastic! These are reasonably high quality transmissions.

You mentioned in your first (ever) post something about firm shifts. Are you certain previous owners have not screwed with anything that may have caused this? An (engine) ECU firmware change for example? The transmission controller depends almost entirely on ECU data for information as when to shift.

A transmission oil change or a few drain-and-fills might be next obvious step as my next guess is that it's a hydraulic issue. Lastly, get a hold of the workshop manual and go through the diagnostic steps.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Kiwi...
That is a possibility. Downshifts are pretty hard and I was under the hood yesterday, and it appears it may have had a CAI at one point. The garage I normally go to couldn't find anything wrong what the transmission, but the mechanic stated himself that this was the only Suzuki he's ever worked on. I think it is wise to find myself a transmission shop to look at it (I live in the boonies, so it would be a trip).
I appreciate everyone's input.
MSM

1 - 10 of 10 Posts