Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I am a new Suzuki 2011 Kizashi owner. I really like the car, but I am confused with the auto-dimming function on the rear-view mirror. When I have any lights behind me, no matter how bright they are. Nothing happens. I don't see the mirror getting darker, I don't see color changes, I don't see anything other than bright lights in my face. I asked the dealer, and he is trying to tell me it's normal. I can't see how you can claim this to be a feature though if it doesn't do anything. I didn't argue at the time because I decided to give it another chance.

What is the best way to test this out? I believe there is a dark sensor on the back of the mirror (facing the front of the car) and a light sensor on the front of the car (facing the driver). I know when I drove into work this morning it didn't function at all. It wasn't completely dark out, but it was early enough that people still use headlights. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

edit: I shined a flashlight in it, and it looks like it does in fact dim. Any tips on how to make it work better. It doesn't seem to pick up other cars.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Can't remember - but does the rear view mirror has a white/cloudy type lens over the light sensing photocell? I think there is a green LED on one side, and the other is for the light sensing part. I'd try removing the lens cover and see if it helps. This WILL void the warranty, but may help. Most auto dimming mirrors don't have a lens cover over the photocell (you can see the cell soldered right to the circuit board inside). The autodim in my TSX works amazing (no lens).

·
Registered
57 Posts
What is the best way to test this out? I believe there is a dark sensor on the back of the mirror (facing the front of the car) and a light sensor on the front of the car (facing the driver). I know when I drove into work this morning it didn't function at all. It wasn't completely dark out, but it was early enough that people still use headlights. Any help would be appreciated.
Mine on a 2010 works very well, so I can't really help you other than to say that if you believe the mirror is not auto-dimming you may have a defective one. It takes a two or three seconds for the sensor to dim the mirror initially, and it also does change the color of the perceived headlight lighting from the rear a bit (to a yellowish hue, I believe).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll have to check if it has a lens over it. Thanks for the replies. After some testing it does dim (with a flashlight). If there were a way to tweak mine to be more sensitive, then I'd be all for that.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope no aftermarket tint. I was considering getting tinted windows, but I live in PA & I think the tint laws are more strict out here. I haven't done a ton of research on it though. I think the main reason for my issue was a mix between I've been driving at an awkward time and my mirror position. Early morning. Enough light for the sensor to be off, enough dark for cars to have their lights on. I'll have to keep checking. Thanks for the replies tho.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine on a 2010 works very well, so I can't really help you other than to say that if you believe the mirror is not auto-dimming you may have a defective one. It takes a two or three seconds for the sensor to dim the mirror initially, and it also does change the color of the perceived headlight lighting from the rear a bit (to a yellowish hue, I believe).
Sorry to bother you, but have you got a pic of your mirror. I have must bought a 2010 swift sz4 and been told it has auto dim mirror - looks the same as any other mirror with the toggle switch at the bottom in the middle. Think I have been had by the garage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts