Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was eying off a Tvan (camper) from Track Trailer whilst at the Caravan & Camping show today.

The guy at the stand reckoned the Grand Vitara wouldn't be up to towing it because the specs it needs is 140Kg+ ball weight.

The tare weight of the trailer is 990Kg and I'm sure it had electric brakes so that shouldn't be an issue. It was the ball weight which was the question as the required specs range from the 140 all the way up to 180kg maximum. There's a few different models but specs can be seen here:
Tvan Specifications |

I seem to recall the 3.2V6 having 150Kg rating but that's the stock bar setup and I'm not sure about after market options etc. Anyone had any experience in rigging up to tow something like this?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've been looking into these for the diseasel and although I like the tvan the ball weight and the fact that your outside cooking done it for me. I'm now looking at an ultimate camper as they have a ball weight of 45kg and not cooking in the elements for roughly the same coin. Doesn't answer any of your questions hahaha

·
Registered
429 Posts
Tvan looks good, but the axle is set too far back. You need less weight on the ball.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Tvan looks good, but the axle is set too far back. You need less weight on the ball.
This seems to be a problem with a lot of campers these days. They extend the draw bar for better reversing then add toolboxes and storage that result in huge ball loads. Kimberley Kampers are another example of dreadful design.

Be wary of the Ultimates too. The 45kg ball weight is as delivered with the huge front storage empty. As you load it nearly all the weight goes onto the ball. I believe it would be possible to keep it under 100kg easily though if loaded carefully with light bulky stuff.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree 140Kg down weight is to much,

My camper had 120-130kg down weight after I first brought it. I had to modify the camper and put the spare Tyre on the back to help balance the load. I had about 90kg down weigh for my trip to Cape York, with the air bags on the rear springs and fully loaded car it was well balanced.

as for the 1 ton tare weight, my camper is 750Kg Tare, with fuel, food, gear and water it would be close to 1 ton, I only had one problem in soft sand climbing out of palm Creek where the car did not have enough weight to keep traction.

Electic brakes are the only option it gives you total control over the brakes and flexibility. some times you want more braking on the trailer than the car.

I am happy with my setup, the off road ability and on road balance works well, but i would be nervous about putting any more load on it for a trip like the cape.

photos and video on youtube link below

·
Registered
134 Posts
Looking into this more, have you seen the base model have a ball weight of 75? They remove everything off the drawbar minus the gas bottle... tempting to do this with a 2nd hand option.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts