Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I feel so alone. So many questions regarding ECUs and cobbling one in that will run an inter-cooled turbo three cylinder 660 cc to replace the inter-cooled turbo three cylinder 550 cc engine. Coils on each spark plug is a new thing. The 550 cc had a distributor. I can wrap my mind around a distributor.

thanks,
neal

·
Registered
11 Posts
Japanese jimny

I thought I was the only one ahah, I brought back my jimny with me from japan. its a 1988 ja71 with the little f5a turbo engine, finding parts is a pain in the a$$. Took me a week to find an oil filter and I still can find an air filter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Japanese Jimny

I just picked up a 1994 Jimny. It was exported in March of this year, and received locally (Mid-Michigan) in July. Guy I got it from ordered it, and once it arrived, he realized how small it is. He didn't fit well, and it's my gain. It's a JA-11, with the F6A 3-cyl turbo. Everything seems to work fine, with the exception of the A/C. Assuming it needs recharged, and trying to find a local expert to assist. We need to share info when we find maintenance parts sources. I'm searching for an oil filter now...

·
Registered
10 Posts
We just got a 1989 Jimny Sierra, with factory air conditioning. Real clean, low miles (less than 42 K miles). I feel your pain, relating to parts, shop manuals, ect.

The ac was having issues, compressor would run “only” intermittently, and not cooling well. I checked System, found it low on 134A ( converted to 134A by seller) and I filled system, soon afterwards.....the compressor clutch will not engage. Clutch is good, no power to clutch. In an ongoing search for cause for power loss to clutch! Very frustrating! :mad: memtb

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
We just got a 1989 Jimny Sierra, with factory air conditioning. Real clean, low miles (less than 42 K miles). I feel your pain, relating to parts, shop manuals, ect.

The ac was having issues, compressor would run “only” intermittently, and not cooling well. I checked System, found it low on 134A ( converted to 134A by seller) and I filled system, soon afterwards.....the compressor clutch will not engage. Clutch is good, no power to clutch. In an ongoing search for cause for power loss to clutch! Very frustrating! :mad: memtb
over filling will also result in A/C not engaging, get it professionally checked as by filling it you may have over pressurised the system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks 2013GV. I actually thought that was possible, as I didn’t have specifications for this particular unit. I was using pressure gauges, and generic ac info gathered via the internet. So.....I actually slowly depressured the system while trying to get it to run. I brought the system pressure to well below normal ac specifications....and still “no go”. In attempting to track down the problem, I discovered that it had been worked on previously. The pressure cut-out switch was “bypassed”. And, there has been a lot of wiring work done....some pertaining to the ac, and some to other items. This “will” be a challenge! memtb

·
Registered
6 Posts
I found a source for air filters, and I don't know what else. Mastedaparts.com (also have a Facebook presence) sent me the filter in the photo. It was 18 Euros, plus 7 more for shipping (from Lithuania)...or about $29 US total. Quality looks good, and great fit. Order placed on 8/19, delivered 8/27. Says they can provide other parts, too.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks, Max.
Apparently, my ignorance is too great for me to find parts for my vehicle. I have a 1994 Jimny, model JA11-V, with the F6A engine. I can't seem to find the correct reference number in the online catalog you suggested. Any help would be appreciated.
Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's what I was trying. I enter the "CHASSIS NO." (JA11-281988), and the results are "not found". No combination of numbers found on the tags seem to be what it is expecting...
Has someone else got a VIN number from the same series vehicle that I can try? Thanks. Mike

·
Super Moderator
17,516 Posts
Vehicle Identification Numbers have been around since at least 1981.

The are in a standardized 17 (digits and capital letters) format peculiar to every vehicle. The number is minimally found on the dash and viewed thru the windshield IF you have one, and often displayed on other key pieces of the automobile to include glass and body.

I was hoping that the first link I sent you;
https://catalogs.ssg.asia/suzuki/?lang=en#bWFya2V0SWQ9PXx8c3Q9PTMwfHxzdHM9PXsiMTAiOiJNYXJrZXQiLCIyMCI6IkFsbCBSZWdpb25zIiwiMzAiOiJKaW1ueSJ9fHxtb2RlbElkPT0xOA==

That displayed...
Model Series
Market All Regions Jimny
SN413
SN415

The 413 and 415 relates to engine size I believe. 4 cyl, 1.3L for instance on the first one. Click on those links for further info.

You will then see stuff like:

SN413V-4 (SANTANA)
SN413V-5
SN413V-6 (E02,E05,E10

Santana being the Spanish Factory and the "E" codes break down to various country code of origin.

Maybe that will help. Beyond that, I'm as lost as you are.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
That's what I was trying. I enter the "CHASSIS NO." (JA11-281988), and the results are "not found". No combination of numbers found on the tags seem to be what it is expecting...
Has someone else got a VIN number from the same series vehicle that I can try? Thanks. Mike
ok, the blue plate in the pic is the data plate which is where I think you have found your chassis number. I have added the (generic) VIN decode label so you know what you're looking for. Some of the japanese models had the VIN on drivers side under a small plastic cover on the door sill, some on the dash where windscreen meets dash visible thru the screen, some stamped into the bodywork under the bonnet, either firewall, or across the front rail by the radiator. If yours is an import, it will be there, and may be painted over if its stamped into the bodywork.

good luck finding it, you will get to know your wee truck well after a thorough cleaning to expose it hehe

my vin numbers start JSAJTAAV00XXXXXX AND JSAJTDA4V00XXXXXX

so yours i'd expect if an import should be JS.......

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for sticking with me and trying to help. I'm familiar with the typical VIN label, but I don't find one anywhere on this vehicle. It may be that since this was built in 1994, and was imported by one of the so-called gray-market importers just this summer, it may not have the 17-character standard VIN, as it was not originally manufactured for export. There is no evidence of the vehicle being repainted.
I also have the original export documents, which are mostly in Japanese. Using a translator app on my phone, I have read through the papers, finding no other reference number for this except the chassis number. My next step will be to translate the various plates and labels on the body, as well as under the hood (bonnet?) Maybe I'll discover something interesting.
Thanks again...
Mike

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Thanks for sticking with me and trying to help. I'm familiar with the typical VIN label, but I don't find one anywhere on this vehicle. It may be that since this was built in 1994, and was imported by one of the so-called gray-market importers just this summer, it may not have the 17-character standard VIN, as it was not originally manufactured for export. There is no evidence of the vehicle being repainted.
I also have the original export documents, which are mostly in Japanese. Using a translator app on my phone, I have read through the papers, finding no other reference number for this except the chassis number. My next step will be to translate the various plates and labels on the body, as well as under the hood (bonnet?) Maybe I'll discover something interesting.
Thanks again...
Mike
it will have a VIN, they are allocated at the factory and the vehicle will have one, try these locations as well.

Chassis/VIN Plate
The Jimny VIN number can be located On the left side of the engine compartment behind the battery riveted to the bulkhead

Visible VIN
not usually unless designated for US market, then visible thru screen

Stamped Number
stamped into the rear right hand chassis viewed just behind the rear wheel

vin is bottom of the plate in attached pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well, I appreciate that you are convinced that there is a VIN number somewhere on this Jimny, but I'm not so sure. Since your last post, I have removed both rear wheels, searching the frame for a stamped on number. I've crawled under it, checking everywhere it could be. I've pulled up the carpet, looking for some concealed tag. And I have scoured under the hood for some elusive label. No Luck! And the example chassis tag looks like one installed for US import. My tag looks like this:.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
like you, all I found was the blue label plate in the engine bay. I have yet to find anything more at this moment in time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine has the same blue plate on my '93 JA11V. The chassis number on mine is stamped in to the the chassis above the front RH wheel. Mine only got a VIN number once it got registered here in NZ.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Also on the subject of parts, I use Megazip or Yokohama Motors. Megazip has all the variants of Jimny JAs; some parts are discontinued, though (decals, shock mounts from memory). Shipping isn't cheap, but it's genuine Japanese-made stuff.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts