Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one of these I6 GM-Daewoo engines, and I'm going to rebuild it. Anyone ever purchased gaskets & seals? Engine bearings? Piston rings? I'll bet NOBODY on this board has. You all sound like owners.
Jan

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A complete engine gasket set is about $240 which isn't too bad. Rings are expensive, about $270 a set

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's been a number of years since your post, but I rebuld mine a few months after you did. In the Pennsylvania winter. ugh. I broke the last piston ring I was putting on. Had to buy another $200 set. Nowadays you can find them at rockauto for like $70. figures.

Also at the time, the connecting rod bearings were color coded and my code on the crankshaft said I needed 2 different colors, so that was two complete sets I would have to buy. After I got them I miked them out and they seemed the same to me.

Now you can just buy it by the set. So the color code thing seems to be BS.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the engine is together, but sitting in the engine stand since 2010. I did crank it over with oil to see about oil pressure, and it came up fine. However, when watching the rocker arms, a lot of oil was escaping from a few rocker arms. I pulled them and they were worn out where they pivot on the rocker shaft. I replaced them with new, and the leaks were gone.
I see that as a defect in the design of the rockers, because there's not enough metal there to make a good sleeve bearing, so it can wear.
I think thats the problem why some engines run out of oil. The breather picks up to extra oil in the rocker area and the engine consumes the oil through the intake.
I have a Megasquirt engine management system to run it.
Jan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts