Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi--Looking for any Canadians, USA owners, or Mexicans with a Cappy. Are there any/many in Canada --or in Mexico? Not allowed here in US under normal import regs, but I'm wondering whether there are loopholes big enough to drive a small car through. Any leads to a N. American owner appreciated. -Chris Hager, in Washington DC suburbs

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm currently trying to buy one off a guy in Vancouver. He is having a difficult time having it pass inspections for BC, Canada registration. I'd be curious to know if, once registered in Canada, there might be a chance of export to the US since it would be a Canada registered car instead of overseas registered. Something to look into maybe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Canada?

Good for you, finding one anywhere on the continent. Do you live on the W coast, or the NW specifically, or are you casting a wide net, as I am? How did you locate the Vancouver car? Do you have a method, or did you just get lucky?

·
Registered
2 Posts
cappuccino in manitoba

Hello. I have a Cappuccino in Manitoba that is for sale. I also have a Honda Beat for sale on ebay under my user name smoothcrunchy. Apparently there are about 6 Beats in the US, possibly all reimported from Canada. There might be a problem because they have 11 digit VIN numbers instead of 17 digit. I once converted the VIN for a JDM Miata/Eunos, but possibly because Miatas were also exported to North America. Please email me at [email protected] if you are interested in buying a Beat or Cappuccino. Thanks, John.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I replied to your post on clubcappo Cappuccino Owners Club :: Cappuccino Owners Club=

I was counting the days until import would be possible. A friend told me about cappuccinos and I fell in love after seeing a few photos. I attempted import through a local professional importer dealing mostly with (skylines, supras, rx-7s, delicas, and many other popular import cars.) but they wanted $12,000 plus whatever it would cost to pass it through inspections.

I'm a Craigslist junky and search certain cars every day to add to the fleet and just keep an eye out for what everything is worth.
My daily searches often include: Swift, Justy, Cappuccino, and many more. I have 2 Subaru Justys for winter cars, a Swift GTi for daily driver (Buying a better one today), and I have always been looking for a cappuccino. Found one listed at $7500 CAD which is currently about equal to USD. I couldn't pass that up considerring the car is already landed, and has about $10,000 of aftermarket on it already. Unfortunately Vancouver Chrysler is not a professional importer and they don't have a clue as to what they need to do to pass this car. I already made a deal with them for a price of an insurable car. I will have to get them to knock some money off it a bit and do a conditional sale, meaning I buy the car as is and must trailer it around and do all the work myself to get it legal.

So I would say I got very lucky with this find as the few cars imported so far (Maybe 10 total) have sold around $12,000CAD

I know how it must feel knowing you have to wait 10 more years for some old rusted out capps, but I'm sure if you have the money and you really put in the time, there's a way around it.

I would also consider trying to have it shipped in in parts and assemble it under Ubuilt status, A friend of mine did something along those lines with a Toyota MR-S and it isn't 15 years old yet but he got it in.

Good luck anyway, keep in touch [email protected]

·
Registered
2 Posts
IanVissers said:
I replied to your post on clubcappo Cappuccino Owners Club :: Cappuccino Owners Club=

I was counting the days until import would be possible. A friend told me about cappuccinos and I fell in love after seeing a few photos. I attempted import through a local professional importer dealing mostly with (skylines, supras, rx-7s, delicas, and many other popular import cars.) but they wanted $12,000 plus whatever it would cost to pass it through inspections.

I'm a Craigslist junky and search certain cars every day to add to the fleet and just keep an eye out for what everything is worth.
My daily searches often include: Swift, Justy, Cappuccino, and many more. I have 2 Subaru Justys for winter cars, a Swift GTi for daily driver (Buying a better one today), and I have always been looking for a cappuccino. Found one listed at $7500 CAD which is currently about equal to USD. I couldn't pass that up considerring the car is already landed, and has about $10,000 of aftermarket on it already. Unfortunately Vancouver Chrysler is not a professional importer and they don't have a clue as to what they need to do to pass this car. I already made a deal with them for a price of an insurable car. I will have to get them to knock some money off it a bit and do a conditional sale, meaning I buy the car as is and must trailer it around and do all the work myself to get it legal.

So I would say I got very lucky with this find as the few cars imported so far (Maybe 10 total) have sold around $12,000CAD

I know how it must feel knowing you have to wait 10 more years for some old rusted out capps, but I'm sure if you have the money and you really put in the time, there's a way around it.

I would also consider trying to have it shipped in in parts and assemble it under Ubuilt status, A friend of mine did something along those lines with a Toyota MR-S and it isn't 15 years old yet but he got it in.

Good luck anyway, keep in touch [email protected]
$7500? That doesn't sound right. Decent ones start at about $5000 at the auctions in Japan, plus the myriad of costs just to get the car to the docks. I hope your car isn't a rusty one from Hokkaido.

By the way, my Cappuccino has SAE markings on the left headlight housings, so it passed Manitoba's safety exam. (See my photos on www.ivoac.ca's website.) Hopefully yours does too.

Good luck. I am going to buy another Cappuccino in Japan next spring and just keep it there to drive around their beautiful mountain roads. It is a shame having such a great car here in Manitoba where the roads are very poor.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Any other hints?

Hi-- me again, Chris: Ian, did you have any luck-- it's been about 4 mo. Anyone else here have any thoughts-- I've got a '59 Berkeley (10 ft long, 4' 3" wide, 700 lb, great handling/brakes but s l o w) almost on the road (think spring), but still want a "modern" mini-sports car. Any new ideas?

·
Registered
2 Posts
There are two Caps in the USA that I know of though I have heard of a third. The other is owned by a guy who lives not far from here in the LA area and its a British-market import. The cars are technically illegal here so registering is a challenge that requires you to abandon any Christian impulses towards perfect honesty. However, it is possible under current California emissions rules to register them. I know of two registered K-class, a Cap and a Beat, in Calif., which is probably the toughest state to register in. The best place to look for ones is Canada or Australia. They come up periodically in Australia on sites such as Trading Post, which pull up local newspaper ads onto the web. There's a fellow in Toronto who offers to bring them in with extra $$ charged for a Florida title. The Beat owner got his that way, but he waited almost a year for the title. Again, this is illegal activity so don't expect people to be open and forthright and money spent is a gamble. If you lose your money on a car seized by Customs, there's no complaint department, you just suck it up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello !

My name is Philip and i am onwer of 2 Suzuki dealership in Québec,Canada.

I am also an onwer of a Suzuki Cappuccino 1993 so yes there is a couple in north america but not alot.

If you have any question , feel free to ask me !

·
Registered
1 Posts
This just might be a dead thread, but I came across this thread and was wondering if anyone knew of the out come. I have always loved Cappuccinos and would love to have one. I do know people that live never Canada and would like to find a way to get one to Florida. Any ideas or leads would be great.

Tugboat

1 - 11 of 11 Posts