Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While my Samurai is idling it is missing. It does not idle like it should it and I believe I have traced it down to a source. I adjusted the carb, timing, added a new rotor & cap for the distributor, new plug lines and new plugs gaped at .07~.08, and added a couple of extra grounds to the endgine. Still no improvement, I unplugged all my spark plug wires one at a time while Samurai was running and the only plug that made no difference in performance was #1. So it seems for some reason # 1 cylinder is not firing or not firing well. This explains the poor idling I believe but what is causing it?.. My only conclusion and only thing I have not done yet is replaced the distributor it's self...................................anyone else have any ideas or have ever had this problem?

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you checked you timing and used plug #1, then it must be sparking.

Have you run a compression test on all the cylinders to see if #1 is a lot lower than the rest?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
m

I went ahead and did the compression test 2-3-4 cylinders are running 180 compression......My number 1 cylinder is running next to 0 about 10 compression which leads me to believe either 3 things, Bad intake valve or Bad Exhaust valve or maybe a ring.... thoughts anyone?

Thanks

·
Registered
293 Posts
Remove you valve cover. Put your #1 piston at TDC on the firing stroke so that both valves are closed. Remove your spark plug. Squirt a little oil into the piston to help seal the rings and then run compressed air in through plug hole. If you have an air blow gun with a rubber tip that fills the plug will work best so that the air will not escape and it will build pressure.

If the air escape through one of you valves, then that is probably your problem. If not, then it is probably your rings,or you have a cracked piston, or a blown head gasket.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks you guys for your thoughts about the issue. I finally figured it out. The exhaust valve was way to tight which was not allowing it to seal properly after adjusting it a bit my compression jumped from zero to about 170. Sammy is running very nice now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts