Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 33" tires are only 33% covered inside the wheel well of the Samurai, 66% is exposed. So even with my Bushwacker fender flares, the tires still throw about so much debris and water when driving. Mud flaps are necessary.

I bought a couple of very wide truck mudflaps, and I'll cut them to fit them on the Samurai, but I'm wondering what is the best place to mount the mud flaps. Anyone has a hint or idea on how to do that?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
are you doing front, rear, or both? The only place you could mount them where they would deflect the mud is on the fender flares. anywhere else on your body or chassis and they wouldn't stick out far enough to cover the crap tossed up off the outside edge of your tires. When you offroad with passengers in the back seat, make sure they wear goggles.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are you doing front, rear, or both? The only place you could mount them where they would deflect the mud is on the fender flares. anywhere else on your body or chassis and they wouldn't stick out far enough to cover the crap tossed up off the outside edge of your tires. When you offroad with passengers in the back seat, make sure they wear goggles.
LOL that's helarious ;) wearing goggles. I guess that applies if you have a convertable Sammy, mine is tin top :)

I was thinking it should cover the whole width of the tire, not only on the fender flares. So half of it would be on the body of the car and the other half on the flares. The problem is how to extend it across into the flares, and how to mount it on the flares. Should I fabricate a bracket to hold it, or just punch a rivet through the flares directly?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
my dog wears goggles in my samurai when I have the top off. One of them took a rock right in the lense, so I'm glad I made them. Saved my dog one of his eyes..... plus it looks hilarious.

I'd fabricate a bracket for the bushwhackers... those jems are 300 bucks. If you tear a flap, you want to be able to replace it without tapping out the rivets in your fender flares. Plus that way you don't have to run them all the time if you don't want to.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What if you used the factory mudflap hanger and added a longer piece of metal stock to attach the wider mudflap to?
That's a good idea. I found the rear hanger, but I couldn't find a front one. Could it have been ripped off or smashed in at some point in it's life with the ex-owner?

my dog wears goggles in my samurai when I have the top off. One of them took a rock right in the lense, so I'm glad I made them. Saved my dog one of his eyes..... plus it looks hilarious.

I'd fabricate a bracket for the bushwhackers... those jems are 300 bucks. If you tear a flap, you want to be able to replace it without tapping out the rivets in your fender flares. Plus that way you don't have to run them all the time if you don't want to.
LOL that would look cute! A dog with goggles. You're right. I still have some pieces of the checkered Aluminum sheet metal I used on the inside of my doors lying around in my yard, I'll fabricate some brackets out of them.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
You could bolt an "L" bracket to the frame under the front seating area with an arm that extends out past the body. I have bolt on nerf bars that attach to those frame members and they support the full weight of an adult standing on them. You just want to make sure it comes out right in line with the flares so that you don't have a bracket jutting out for someone to hook themselves on.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
The factory front mudflaps use a bracket that bolts onto the body using holes that are already there (intended for those brackets). I have them on the Stalker, but i have to find a pic that will show it. The vehicle is parked in Chapparell (next town) right now, or I would go out and take pictures...

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You could bolt an "L" bracket to the frame under the front seating area with an arm that extends out past the body. I have bolt on nerf bars that attach to those frame members and they support the full weight of an adult standing on them. You just want to make sure it comes out right in line with the flares so that you don't have a bracket jutting out for someone to hook themselves on.
That's exactly what I have in mind. Thank you Baratacus

The factory front mudflaps use a bracket that bolts onto the body using holes that are already there (intended for those brackets). I have them on the Stalker, but i have to find a pic that will show it. The vehicle is parked in Chapparell (next town) right now, or I would go out and take pictures...
Bill, is your Stalker ever going to be for sale? I'm absolutely crazy about it. Could use a cute car like it on my visits to the US.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Bill, is your Stalker ever going to be for sale? I'm absolutely crazy about it. Could use a cute car like it on my visits to the US.
Probably not. I have only sold a few cars that I have built up myself, and I have regretted getting rid of them. I think I will keep this one for the 'Zook museum' that my wife claims I am collecting for.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I went out and I can see the holes that bill is talking about. There is a short section of the frame the branches out at a right angle behind the front wheel well. THere is a body mount point on the end of the frame extension. There are a few holes drilled through the forward face of the section and it and it looks like they'd be where a stock mud flap would be mounted. Shouldn't be dificult bolting an extension piece to it made out of angle iron.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I went out and I can see the holes that bill is talking about. There is a short section of the frame the branches out at a right angle behind the front wheel well. THere is a body mount point on the end of the frame extension. There are a few holes drilled through the forward face of the section and it and it looks like they'd be where a stock mud flap would be mounted. Shouldn't be dificult bolting an extension piece to it made out of angle iron.
Exactly...

You can just make out the bolts in the second pic...

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I finally got my mudflaps on. I did some fabrication and stuff. I used the pieces of Alumunium that were left over from my car's side panels to fabricate brackets for the new mudflaps to cover up the large 12.5 inch wide tires plus 1.25 inch spacers (I think).

The front was a little tricky, cuz there was no original bracket on which to mount the new brackets. So I mounted it on the piece of the chassis that is holding one part of the body, which already had some holes in them. I don't know what those holes are for, but I used them anyway:

The I bought a couple of truck mud flaps from a local manufacturer, which were huge. I cut each of them into two mudflaps for the Zuk, and I had a LOT of rubber yet to spare :)

BTW, the KFC bag ... it ain't mine :) I cut the lower edge of the mud flaps in zigzag, just to give it some looks. I have seen that done on some trucks, but I don't know why.

Attaching the front flaps to the new brackets:

Here's the rear mudflap, it was fairly simple. I just fabricated an Alumunium tab and attached it to the original bracket with rivets.

Rear mud flaps side view:

General rear view:

General side view showing both front and rear flaps:

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
That thin strip of sheet metal is pretty flimsy. You might want to bend an angle over the top or bottom of it for some structural integrity and secure it to the inside of the bushwhacker with some RTV adhesive.

I'm not sure if there's a practical reason why the bottoms are zigzagged. I think it's just for appearance... maybe it reduces drag?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Personally you may want to hang them from eyelets or something so they can be removed easily. Every set I ever put on got ripped off the first time I went off road and backed up with the tire against a rock or tree or something.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That thin strip of sheet metal is pretty flimsy. You might want to bend an angle over the top or bottom of it for some structural integrity and secure it to the inside of the bushwhacker with some RTV adhesive.

I'm not sure if there's a practical reason why the bottoms are zigzagged. I think it's just for appearance... maybe it reduces drag?
Oh it's not thin! It is 3 mm thick (0.12") and made from Aluminum. It doesn't bend easily. Seemed quite sturdy. Yes, an angle would be good, but I did everything in front of my house, I don't have those bending machines. But attaching it to the Bushwacker with adhesive seems to be a good idea. What is RTV adhesive? I'm thinking probably just some black silicon glue will do.

Personally you may want to hang them from eyelets or something so they can be removed easily. Every set I ever put on got ripped off the first time I went off road and backed up with the tire against a rock or tree or something.
That's a very good points gasjr4wd, thank you for pointing it out. I'll probably work on that soon.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
RTV is an all purpose Silicon Adhesive. Pretty much what you were going to use. I'm glad the aluminum is sturdy. It looks thin in the pics but it's hard to judge from a picture how rigid it is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
"I cut the lower edge of the mud flaps in zigzag, just to give it some looks. I have seen that done on some trucks, but I don't know why. "

Some of the truckers swear by it and say it helps the snow and ice break off instead of building up! A solid piece of ice acrossed the bottom is more likely to become strong and heavy where as the zig-zag makes it harder for it to build on itself and become heavy before it flapping in the wind cracks and shakes the ice off! Or so they say I have no proof it works but, I'm 30yrs old and have seen the 48 contiguous states from the passengers seat of my Dads big rig!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts