Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now that the $4.00/gallon of gas communism is upon us I am feeling it more than ever before how my 2004 Forenza performs in the city. Its not too bad on the highway but its terrible when driving around town. I got a K&N filter a year or so ago (no difference at all in gas mileage) and get the oil changed religiously every 3000 miles. I'm also finding my oil is leaking a tad bit at the start of every oil change and for some time after but mechanic says thats natural for that too happen. I get roughly 200 miles for every $30 (used to be $15-$20):mad: if driving in the city mostly and about 300 if highway driving usually. It averages out to about 22 mpg or so which isn't very good nowadays. Car only has only 36K on it and I;m stuck with it for a while. Is there any product, modification, or anything i can do to increase the city gas mileage on the car??? I have been emailed about a product called Ethos which is used in California. Any others? How is Ethos for those who have used it? Thanks.

P.S. Please don't suggest the obvious things like less weight in trunk and all. I have tried all those forever!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I try not to go over 3000 rpm in the city, and leave the AC at a lower temperature. Make sure change your O2 sensor and air filter, inflate your tires to around 35 psi.

This all works for me since I get 33-34 mpg on my 04

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I try not to go over 3000 rpm in the city, and leave the AC at a lower temperature. Make sure change your O2 sensor and air filter, inflate your tires to around 35 psi. This all works for me since I get 33-34 mpg on my 04
How on earth do you get that? You've gotta have something modified right? I have a K&N air filter. Should I clean that even tho it says you dont have to? How hard is the 02 sensor to change? Thanks for the tip on the RPM's. I rarely use the air as it is b/c i know it slows engine and i cant get as much horsepower when its on.

As long as you drive with the same habbits then anything that frees up the engine. Intake, exhaust, UD pulley, grounds, ect. Lighter wheels, tires, brakes, better tranny fluid, lowering springs, ect. For me it was easy to get 26mpg.
Yeah Ive thought about getting one of those intakes (like the K&N typhoon or something) but i think Id have difficulty installing it. Heard its hard to do. Do you suggest any one that you know too work btr than the others? Should I get a new exhaust if i get the new intake?

·
Registered
14 Posts
the O2 sensor is not hard to change at all, all you got to look at is the exhaust manifold and find the sensor with 4 wires leading from it. That thing needs to be changed every 50k or else it starts to ask for more fuel to be consumed. Other than that you should just ease up on the gas pedal and slowly creep up to 2500 rpm until it shifts. When you see a light turn red at a distance just let go of your gas pedal and let it roll up until you reach the light. Im telling you its not bad when you use this. I am usually charging a cell phone and using a computer whenever I commute, so it should work for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
By the way I just returned from a tour in Iraq, where even people over there are trying to reduce their consumption. Most of them use 4 cyl vehicles and believe it or not I have seen about 4 white '04 suzuki forenzas driven by some folks in the haditha area. It was quite funny since I have met one of them and they said they loved their car.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I salute you soldier! I'll take a look for the sensor today. You recommend any aftermarket brand? i.e. Walker? Or just get the OEM? Thanks for the tips I will try them out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If you're driving in city, dont even turn on the A/C at all. that burns fuel. Roll down the windows maybe half way if it's hot, because that will be enough to cool down the interior of the car. And theres no 'wind drag' from the open window because with city driving you wont be going fast enough.

And yeah, dont rev that engine. That's plain common sense. :3

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
on average i get about 26 mpg...and i dont drive like grandma. i didn't read over the responses that people sent, but heres a list of things that you can do to help

1. keep your rpm's low by shifting or driving slower. it might take you an extra 10 minutes to get somewhere by driving 65 rather than 70+, but your RPMs will be lower(which means less gas consumption)

2. windows up. with your windows down, you're creating drag. at lower speeds it doesn't matter as much, but at highway speeds, it makes a difference

3. A/C. run your air conditioner when you are already at speed. when running, it creates drag on your engine. i suggest you don't run the a/c when you are accelerating or at a stop.

4. performance mods. simple things like intake, exhaust, ud pulley, lighter wheels, and lighter body parts will reduce strain on the engine. more freed up ponies will make it easier for your car to accelerate...HOWEVER, things that increase the amount of fuel into the engine (cams, fuel pump, injectors, etc) will make your mileage worse.

5. avoid accelerating up hills. get to speed before climbing hills. going uphill is more difficult than on a flat surface...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Some other things you can do to save gas:

1. Coast in Neutral on long down slopes

2. Install a system that converts water into a Hydrogen/Oxygen gas

I'm doing #1 already and I've increased my MPG's from around 24-25 a gallon to almost 32mpg's. I'm currently building my Hydrogen/Oxygen gas system and will be ready to install it soon. I've just got to find the time to get the rest of the parts and put it all together.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Don't forget that anything iron or steel in the engine will need to be either replaced with stainless or get ceramic coated. You know, pistons/valves/manifolds/tubing/etc, anything that comes in contact with the H2/O2 gases needs to be protected from rust.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Some other things you can do to save gas:

1. Coast in Neutral on long down slopes

2. Install a system that converts water into a Hydrogen/Oxygen gas

I'm doing #1 already and I've increased my MPG's from around 24-25 a gallon to almost 32mpg's. I'm currently building my Hydrogen/Oxygen gas system and will be ready to install it soon. I've just got to find the time to get the rest of the parts and put it all together.
1. I actually read that putting your car in neutral down a hill doesn't really do much (auto tranny) because of modern fuel injection your barely using any gas at all when going downhill, probably the same or less than when your idling in neutral. but i do notice that having the car in gear controls the speed of your descent (slows you down).

2. I have yet to read about one credible laboratory test that proves that those deviced increase gas mileage in gasoline powered cars.

Not trying to be argumentative but just trying to dispell some myths. I don't like seeing people get cheated with gimmicks like "the tornado", and "power adders" and "HYdrogen systems".

·
Registered
12 Posts
1. I actually read that putting your car in neutral down a hill doesn't really do much (auto tranny) because of modern fuel injection your barely using any gas at all when going downhill, probably the same or less than when your idling in neutral. but i do notice that having the car in gear controls the speed of your descent (slows you down).

2. I have yet to read about one credible laboratory test that proves that those deviced increase gas mileage in gasoline powered cars.

Not trying to be argumentative but just trying to dispell some myths. I don't like seeing people get cheated with gimmicks like "the tornado", and "power adders" and "HYdrogen systems".
That's ok but open your eyes.

You can try putting your own car in Neutral while going downhill, and it's even better if you have your windows and moonroof closed. Watch the difference in the RPM's when you are going downhill in Drive with your foot off the gas and then pop it into Neutral and watch the RPM's drop to below 1000. This works and as I have said in another post, this past weekend I got over 32mpg's doing this where I usually get around 24-25mpg.

As far as the HHO system goes, It's not a myth that this works. There are over 150,000 that are known to be doing this and it's working for them. Also if you look on the BMW website, you will see that they have a Hydrogen Car now. It's not for sale but there are I think 9 of them I believe in Germany and they are building 2 filling stations for testing etc. There are some cars out there running on water alone but that is too complicated for most people. If you do some research you will find them. When I have the results from my own personal tests, I will post my MPG gains here on this site.

Just because some people say it won't work, don't believe them. The oil companies don't want people to know about this because they want us to use as much gas as possible. Fuel injected engines are actually less fuel efficient than older cars with carborators. That's the whole reason for the catalytic converter. It was created to burn up the excess unburnt fuel before it is exhausted into the atmosphere.

As I said, I will post my results. In fact, maybe I'll start a blog to detail everything I do as far as lowering my consumption of petroleum fuels. Not a bad idea, thank you.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I didn't read your whole post, because you obviously misunderstood mine.

I DIDN'T SAY IT WONT WORK. It does work, I know that, I BUILT ONE. I raced a water/methanol powered go-kart that I built myself, so I know what hell I'm talking about, dude.

What I DID say, is that dictated by physics, the HHO will recombine on it's own to make H2O, because when split the atoms are now ions, seeking a mate. Then you've got the issue that when you burn H2 and O2, it creates steam which is hot water.

Water + Iron/Steel + Heat = Rust

It's not debateable, it's fact. You have to protect your engine from rust if your going to run any kind of water or HHO injection system.

Read that a few times, then reply.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
The other problem is the amount of energy it takes to brake water. Its a very stable bond. One of the most stable infact.

And as previously stated, once separated, its more then likely to recombine instantaneously

H2O idea has been around for years.... and the fact is, its not as effitient or echinomical as they say, and IMHO, right up there with the earth magnets on your fuel line and the tornado

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
im interested to hear more about the carborated vrs. the fuel injected car? its been proven that fuel injection is more eficient system. and the whole catalytic converter thing. they are designed to burn up unused (exess) gases to have a cleaner exhaust. not because efi isnt as good. cars without them expel more unused gases and the exhaust not only smells bad its worse for the environment.

·
Registered
12 Posts
im interested to hear more about the carborated vrs. the fuel injected car? its been proven that fuel injection is more eficient system. and the whole catalytic converter thing. they are designed to burn up unused (exess) gases to have a cleaner exhaust. not because efi isnt as good. cars without them expel more unused gases and the exhaust not only smells bad its worse for the environment.
When was it proven that fuel injection is more efficient? Who is it that showed you proof? I've seen studies that show fuel injection burning 1/3 less or the fuel going into the chamber then the older carborated cars. That is why they had to come up with the Cat. Converter to burn the excess wasted fuel. The auto companies don't want you to know this but they don't want the cars to be clean, fuel efficient or even to last very long. They want to sell you as many cars in your lifetime as they possibly can.

The auto companies get paid to produce cars that don't last. They get paid to produce cars that are not fuel efficient. The oil companies don't want fuel efficient cars because that will lower their bottom line. The goverment doesn't really want fuel efficient cars because because they depend on the taxes they get from the cars that are sold and the gas that you put in them. People have been murdered trying to bring water powered cars to the market. Do the research and see for yourself. there are hundreds of patents if not thousands, on systems that generate free energy not just for cars but for homes as well but we are all still paying the ever growing electric bills, gas bills and we are all still consuming much more oil then we really need.

I guess you are probably thinking that I'm one of those conspiricy nuts but really I'm not. I am just a guy who is trying to make my own car more fuel efficient and letting other people know that they can do it too if they want.

Do a google search on Stanley Meyer or Edwin Gray Senior. Do a search on HHO and take a look for yourself at everything that's out there. If the auto companies wanted you to have a truely fuel efficient car, they would be producing them. This technology has been around since the 70's and much earlier. The very first cars invented ran on water.

The text below is from the waterfuel museum website: The Kentucky Water Fuel Museum at Lexington, KY

1805-2008: 203 years of turning water into fuel!
In 1800 water was turned into hydrogen and oxygen, using a battery. In 1805 the first car with an internal combustion engine burned hydrogen from water. Jules Verne wrote in 1875 that WATER would be the fuel of the future. And 2008 is shaping up to be the year!

But very few know the story of water fuel technology development. Why not? Patent after patent has been filed, in the U.S. and abroad, attesting to the reality of this awesome, non-polluting fuel source. It could even reverse global warming by ending filthy fossil fuel emissions, while releasing excess oxygen to the atmosphere.

Read the first book ever written on the 200-year history of running cars on water. To receive a copy, which includes a DVD of inventor interviews, send $22.00 (USA) or $30.00 (intl) to:

Water Fuel Museum
P.O. Box 55558
Lexington KY 40555

or our Paypal account:
[email protected]

·
Registered
184 Posts
This is a little wordy but its the only way to really explain it.
(for those of you who don't know a lot about the powertrain)
The manual transmission(if driven properly) can be more gas friendly than the automatic, since the manual transmission mechanically connects and disconnects the engine and trans. the clutch fully disconnects the engine trans.
While the automatic is never fully dissconnected. the troque converter is filled with about 70% of the trans fluid. if you look inside the torque converter (or tc) there is a turbine and impeller. these are the basic components of any tc. the impeller is connected to the transmission and the turbine is connected to the engine. it is all inside a housing that is between the engine and trans, the housing is filled with that 70% of trans fluid. the engine turns the turbine and the turbine pushes the trans fluid toward the impeller and if you are in gear the impeller spins the main shaft in the trans and in turn moves your car.
But say you are at a red light, you are holding the car inplace with the brakes. and to trying to keep this simple, the brakes hold the trans, that means the impeller in the tc is being held. so the engine is still turning the turbine but the turbine can't turn the impeller so it is in whats called a stall condition, the engine is having to burn a little bit more fuel to idle at the same rpm as it does in park or in nuetral.
so in short at a red light the automatic uses a little more fuel than a manual, because the engine has to fight the trans in an automatic.

also +1 to spedrick

·
Registered
99 Posts
When was it proven that fuel injection is more efficient? Who is it that showed you proof? I've seen studies that show fuel injection burning 1/3 less or the fuel going into the chamber then the older carborated cars. That is why they had to come up with the Cat. Converter to burn the excess wasted fuel. The auto companies don't want you to know this but they don't want the cars to be clean, fuel efficient or even to last very long. They want to sell you as many cars in your lifetime as they possibly can.

The auto companies get paid to produce cars that don't last. They get paid to produce cars that are not fuel efficient. The oil companies don't want fuel efficient cars because that will lower their bottom line. The goverment doesn't really want fuel efficient cars because because they depend on the taxes they get from the cars that are sold and the gas that you put in them. People have been murdered trying to bring water powered cars to the market. Do the research and see for yourself. there are hundreds of patents if not thousands, on systems that generate free energy not just for cars but for homes as well but we are all still paying the ever growing electric bills, gas bills and we are all still consuming much more oil then we really need.

I guess you are probably thinking that I'm one of those conspiricy nuts but really I'm not. I am just a guy who is trying to make my own car more fuel efficient and letting other people know that they can do it too if they want.

Do a google search on Stanley Meyer or Edwin Gray Senior. Do a search on HHO and take a look for yourself at everything that's out there. If the auto companies wanted you to have a truely fuel efficient car, they would be producing them. This technology has been around since the 70's and much earlier. The very first cars invented ran on water.

The text below is from the waterfuel museum website: The Kentucky Water Fuel Museum at Lexington, KY

1805-2008: 203 years of turning water into fuel!
In 1800 water was turned into hydrogen and oxygen, using a battery. In 1805 the first car with an internal combustion engine burned hydrogen from water. Jules Verne wrote in 1875 that WATER would be the fuel of the future. And 2008 is shaping up to be the year!

But very few know the story of water fuel technology development. Why not? Patent after patent has been filed, in the U.S. and abroad, attesting to the reality of this awesome, non-polluting fuel source. It could even reverse global warming by ending filthy fossil fuel emissions, while releasing excess oxygen to the atmosphere.

Read the first book ever written on the 200-year history of running cars on water. To receive a copy, which includes a DVD of inventor interviews, send $22.00 (USA) or $30.00 (intl) to:

Water Fuel Museum
P.O. Box 55558
Lexington KY 40555

or our Paypal account:
[email protected]
Now, kid, you're just annoying me. Fuel Injection is 7324984598234 times more efficient than carburation. Don't believe me? Scrap your HHO system and go put a carbrator on you damn car and see for yourself.

I'm tired of being nice, 'cause you're acting like we're stupid. So f**k you, good luck.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts