Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I went out to put in 180F thermostats in both my Trackers -- replacing the 195F thermostats that I put in there as a newbie as instructed by kickfix (JTG, autotune, bog, or whatever his name was a the time).

I had put antiseize on the 1996, and had not on the 1993. The bolts with antiseize spun right out. One of them on the 1993 came out, and the other stuck hard. Luckily, I was able to be patient and careful, and got the other one out after about 1.5 hours of finesse with penetrating oils, a hammer and punch and a ratchet. Several of the threads on the hole in the intake were rounded off, so I retapped/chased the threads with an M8x1.25 tap, and all is well.

Those bolts were installed in 2010 shortly before I began my obsession with antiseize (I put it on everything). Moral of the story is that you too should use antiseize to excess. It saves a lot of cursing.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,262 Posts
Yes, I have been singing that song for 40yrs..

.... Philip

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
I know I'll get a lot of bad feedback on this, but I live in the rustbelt, and put it on everything, including, the crank timing gear bolt. I torque to spec. and never have had a problem with any of my Trackers. Flame away, lol.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
It was a cost savings suggestion which started the USAF using Philips Milk of Magnesia as an anti-sieze on its jet engines. I figure IF it is good enuff for jet engines it should be good enuff for my engines, & wheels, and everything else. I too use it liberally.

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
11,262 Posts
It was a cost savings suggestion which started the USAF using Philips Milk of Magnesia as an anti-sieze on its jet engines.
Reminds me of my young days (many yrs ago) in the RAF, stationed in the Med. Mechanics soaked the nuts and bolts on CokaCola to ride them of oxidation and salt air contamination...

.... Philip

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Coke also works well on battery terminals.

·
Super Moderator
25,554 Posts
Imagine what it does to your stomach...:eek:

·
Registered
686 Posts
I've had a massive life-sized bottle for decades, stopped using it only on exhaust and wheel studs to using it on just about everything. It's awesome stuff if thinking ahead is your thing.

CokaCola works great for nuts/bolts but your not really supposed to drink it, if you do then you do so at your own risk haha.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
I grease the threads unless they need thread Loctite, Loctite should seal the threads and prevent corrosion happening.

·
Registered
621 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
just fyi, for any interested in a cheap version of penetrating oils (similar to PB Blaster)...

mix acetone and auto tranny fluid 50-50. Works well and costs little, since you likely have these things around for other reasons.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
just fyi, for any interested in a cheap version of penetrating oils (similar to PB Blaster)...

mix acetone and auto tranny fluid 50-50. Works well and costs little, since you likely have these things around for other reasons.
I been using straight tranny fluid for years. I have a syringe I use for tight spots or to not make a mess.

I would think any acetone will evaporate unless used right away anyway and may damage any rubber components.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts