Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told by the dealer that my antifreeze was getting cloudy and should be replaced. They said the Verona used 'special' coolant. It must be, the estimate was to the tune of close to $400. Are they being truthful? The car has 47K miles. I'm sure the coolant was replaced just after I got the car with 16K on it because I was unfortunate enough to have had a fender bender after just owning it a week. The radiator and AC compressor were replaced at the body shop. Oh yes, my AC started getting intermittant last year, after two trips to the dealer they said it was some corrosion at the electrical connection on the compressor. And of course, it's not working again. Just wondering if it maybe related to the coolant issue.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Not exactly cheap but not that expensive either is Ford Motorcraft Gold coolant which has the silicates in it. So you could actually visit a Ford store for a coolant exchange to get appropriate good stuff.

Ford also list silicates in theirs and cautions again the "ALL MAKES ALL MODELS" stuff which is mostly silicate free. Most have just gone to the All Makes All Models and said it should do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not exactly cheap but not that expensive either is Ford Motorcraft Gold coolant which has the silicates in it. So you could actually visit a Ford store for a coolant exchange to get appropriate good stuff.

Ford also list silicates in theirs and cautions again the "ALL MAKES ALL MODELS" stuff which is mostly silicate free. Most have just gone to the All Makes All Models and said it should do.
If I read your post correctly then what I am looking for is coolant with silicates and a Ford dealer would have that, and I should avoid 'all makes and models' type of coolant?

·
Registered
388 Posts
According to the TSB that is what the spec. To be honest we have used both....
The Motorcraft is more expensive than what Suzuki would give us in warranty work.

However after a recent message from ford about All Make All Models coolants (silicate free formula not tested and verified for proper protection) we have stopped using it and are solely on Motorcraft again.

Motorcraft Gold is a great product and will serve you very VERY well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for that information, it gives me an alternative to the Suzuki dealer where I'm still even getting my oil changes since Jiffy Lube and Pep Boys don't stock the oil filter. I'll see what a Ford dealer quotes for a coolant flush and refill.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I'd just put regular damn coolant in it... thats me. 60% water/40% coolant in northern states, opposite in southern.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Did you mean 60% water 40% coolent in southern, and opposite in northern states?
Becouse more coolent is needed in colder climate, like north;)

·
Registered
929 Posts
I was umm... thinking I wrote it wrong before I shut my pc off... But it doesn't really matter. True 50%/50% is hard to get, but if you keep it closer to that, its best.

·
Registered
16 Posts
According to the TSB that is what the spec. To be honest we have used both....
The Motorcraft is more expensive than what Suzuki would give us in warranty work.

However after a recent message from ford about All Make All Models coolants (silicate free formula not tested and verified for proper protection) we have stopped using it and are solely on Motorcraft again.

Motorcraft Gold is a great product and will serve you very VERY well.
Say ewetho, I got Zerex Dex Cool Approved for my 2004 Forenza.Did I make a good choice? And what would be the exact oil filter for my vehicle?
Is Dextron III right for my auto trans? Thank you.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The coolant for the verona, forenza, and reno are all the same. If you use the incorrect fluid IT will damage the water pump. Most dealers use the mopar longlife coolant (pink in color), it's the exact coolant that suzuki puts in at the factory, just different color. As for the trans fluid all three take ZF fluid (mercron V) you can get it from carquest, they have their own and it's cheap. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
The coolant for the verona, forenza, and reno are all the same. If you use the incorrect fluid IT will damage the water pump. Most dealers use the mopar longlife coolant (pink in color), it's the exact coolant that suzuki puts in at the factory, just different color. As for the trans fluid all three take ZF fluid (mercron V) you can get it from carquest, they have their own and it's cheap. :)
Thank you evlweevil. I found a carquest just across the river in Ironton,OH.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Coolant replacement

Its time for me to replace coolant. In manual it say "coolant with silicates". Which coolant is thet? Here we are Germany oriented so what standard for VW is it, G11 or G12(G12+), or what GM spec it should be(GM1825M, GM1899M...)?

Another thing, is there a drain plug on Evanda radiator? I found something in the down corner on passenger side. It is a 13mm bolt with cros in middle for philips screw driver. Is that a drain?

Many thanks.^_^

PS
Yes, I found thet bolt in the corner is radiator drain...;)

·
Registered
929 Posts
here is what you put in. Premixed too. Its the first one and it works with all coolants.. Been using it for years with good sucess

Prestone :: Products : Antifreeze/Coolant
This is like snake oil... and oil that don't sludge or coolant that last forever.

Show me the proof. If you change every 3 years or so many miles your AOK. Corrosion happens from neglect of anything... ever see the "after humans" on History channel?

To me, if it has glycol (lime green tint) i'm putting a mix with water.

·
Registered
139 Posts
04-05 Verona use green coolant-this was discussed in depth in a training class at the regional office. Despite what the bulletin says, the trainer recommends a quality ethelyne glycol based coolant-we use Carquest branded full strength coolant at our shop and mix it ourselves. What is very important is the pH level-if your locale does not have good water then buy either premixed or mix it with distilled water. A high pH level will cause repeat pump failures.
06 Verona uses DexCool-this is specified in the Suzuki service manual.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I forgot to mantion, I am from Europe, so never heard for Preston Co. Here we have Shell, Total, valvoline, Elf etc.

@northeastXL7
So I can put EG(ethelyne glycol) type without silicates if it is for aluminium radiators and engines, like Shell Anti Freeze?
Does silicates have any other purpose other then protecting aluminium parts?

·
Super Moderator
4,416 Posts
This is like snake oil... and oil that don't sludge or coolant that last forever.

Show me the proof. If you change every 3 years or so many miles your AOK. Corrosion happens from neglect of anything... ever see the "after humans" on History channel?

To me, if it has glycol (lime green tint) i'm putting a mix with water.

Whats snake oil? What are you talking about? no one said anything about coolant that lasts forever..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts