Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so when i got the zuk the motor was bad, i am only going to do spring over on it and use it as a play toy but mainly as a huntin truck since these things basically float. i can get a 1.3 for 400 from one guy and another guy has a 1.6 with head work for 750 but the adapter plate for the tranny is another 150. my ? is which one would be most reasonable? i know the 1.6 will have more power but all i am trying to do is play every now and then and drive for a hunt truck. if i go with another 1.3 and put the rig on 33's will it still be able to do 55/60 mph or no? thanks guys yall have already helped me out alot b4 hoping for more good input

·
Registered
192 Posts
With the stock gears and not knowing how tired the 1.3 is, no... at least with no 5th gear.
If you can get your hands on a 1.6 with a 2wd trans you will not need any adapter plate, just shorten the halfshaft. The engine will give you more power and the trans is beefier. I don't remember how much larger the clutch is... Plus everything goes in far easier.
For less than $900 you can get an entire Sidekick, take what you want then sell the body/frame etc.
If you are going to turn 33" rubbers you should think about doing a transfer case regear. IMHO they give the most bang for the buck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would go with the 1.3 i run 33/12.5 and i can do 60 on highway top speed, with 5.13 gears in the rear but thats only at like 4,000 rpms, it wont go any higher, 5th gear actually slows me down to about 50

I use mine for a daily driver and a mud truck, it does amazing off road and decent on the road.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am doing the same swap right now, we just pulled the 1.3 today, just waiting on my pertoworks adapter kit , and a 8valve throttle body is going in when the kit gets here. I got a 92 sidekick in parts for 100$ , motor/tarnny/trancase, rear/front ends, gas tank, tires, drivehsafts, wiring , guages, etc etc, pretty much everyrthing, even the rear seatbelts, except the body metal. This is my first smaurai, and i cant wait to get going with this, its an 87 and its got a spring over lift with 31 's, and a few other extra like missing links, pot caps, tube bumpers with hitch revceivers front and rear.
the freind helpin me with the swap has done quite a few and actually already has a harness from his , when he had the 8valve ,and hes now running a 16v with toyota housings so he dosnt need the harness anymore. I am also putting a new hp clutch and pressure plate at tyhe same time, with new throwout etc.
I want to add a zbar eleminator and a panhard kit soon as well as some other goodies. right now all i can afford is the engine swap i wasnt planning to do so soon, and then i n a couple months i will be adding a thousand or so dollars worth of extras, as well as a set of 33" swampers at the same time. Its gonna be a fun summer with my fiorst sammy

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
congrats im in the same boat except you pulled out better than i did, i paid 900 for my 1.6 but i got everything i could out of it only reason i paid that price is cause you CANNOT find any cars/motors/trannys anywhere around here. plus sean is a great guy that will help you out and work with you with everything so its all good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
yeah i hear ya, the part of the world im in, NB canada, parts and old cars that are junk can be bought pretty cheap, im in the process of grabbing another 92 side kick, rear ends, tranny transfer/ engine, wiring , computer for 300, id like to have a spare and possibly rebuild it next winter a little stronger than stock, but really, i should get a 16 valve for down the road swap. i didnt have the time nor money to do the 16 right now,
Im also adding the unbreakable tranny mount, and the mighty kong transfer case mount from trail tough as well.I am following the advice of a 15 year suzuki off roading veteran i have known for a long time. this is my first one( i have had off road before, my last one being a full size chevy , 400 horsepower with 35" tsl swampers locker front and rear, it was a beast ,but this is a different animal), but hes had quite a few, and done every change except the dual overhead 1.3 as far as suzuki swaps, and is now running toyota housing under his. But hes tried alot of differnt parts and add ons out there, so its good to have some guidance here. I would have just ordered the mounts from petroworks with the adapter and clutch, but these mounts are a little better than what they offer he thinks, so ill order this stuff from them
if i only had more money, lol, ive got a list of stuff id love to get from both places lol
Oh i got super lucky with this find for 100, the guy was going to build a tube frame side by side, kind of a rhino copy, if you will, with the sidekick parts, so he had them all stripped off the old side kick, and most of it all boxed up, stored inside, for 100 bucks i grabbed it and ran. hes a mechanic and saw the engine running himself last fall before he stripped the jeep. I didnt see it running, but i feel pretty confident he wouldnt have stripped it all and stored it inside if it was a bad motor,like i said hes a mechanic and had this all stored inside his shop where he works out of .only a couple miles from where i live is the nice part as well. and its my personal freind who is the zuki whiz that knew of the motor, because he lives almost next door to the guy and does some wheeling with him and etc etc.
Its defiantly a positive to have someone on your side that knows these things inside and out and has pretty much built/ran/ worked on every configuration of them out there. these forums are going to be a great place of knowledge for me, but i can only get so much from a forum for help, not the same as a hands on expert :)

good luck with the swap

1 - 7 of 7 Posts