Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5 days ago my tracker stated acting up and the engine would sputter causing tracker to buck. eliminated fuel relay,fuel pump,and fuel filter(replaced filter) added cat/fuel system cleaner,since it was not throwing codes and it was not a fuel issue thought it was cat. went to Midas and they said yes both your cats are bad had them replaced. Problem continued so I added sea foam ran great so I drove to san diego just as I got there it was back. started home after visiting friend and letting engine cool after 2 miles started bucking and sputtering pulled of freeway opened hood started jiggling wires when I got to drivers side firewall jiggled harness with the 2 cat sensors that goes to rear of engine. lifted it up truck ran smooth let it hang ran crappy so I bungeed wires in up position and ran good all the way home.when home replaced bungee with zip ties and zip tied it to its bracket which had always been broke. drove 20 miles no prob then 1/2 mile from home it sputtered a little.went to work for 2 days got home today cleaned all connections to cat sensors with electrical cleaner checked connectors on passenger firewall drove 35 miles no problem can a bad cat front or rear sensor cause the bucking without throwing a code
or would a dirty connector or a loose connector cause it. by wiggling wires on drivers firewall and it getting better where should I look?

·
Administrator
19,092 Posts
Have you verified those same connectors as "clean & tight" and I'm talking about the contacts, not the housings. O2 sensor voltages are typically less than one volt (varies between zero & one) and that's what the determines the fuelling, so my guess is yes, it can cause bucking, as for the code part - I believe once the ECU is seeing a change it won't throw a code, unless both sensors are changing together, which it flags as a cat efficiency failure.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes I took them apart cleaned them with contact cleaner and snapped them back together making sure the latch's were locked. Even though midas supposedly checked and confirmed bad cat could this be a bad o2 sensor and will it only test bad when it is causing the problem. And if I take to mechanic and he hooks it up to test machine will it show anyway. may have it fixed but I have thought that 3 times now so my confidence is shot. and if I replace sensor is it both or front first

·
Administrator
19,092 Posts
You need to get yourself something like a scangauge (or if you have a smartphone, maybe a Bluetooth OBDII reader and torque), either of those should let you, not only read & clear fault codes, but also look at the real time data reported to the ECU.

Do you have any idea how Midas determined/confirmed the cat was bad - is it blocked or just dead?

There are two O2 sensors, the first one is mounted before the cat and determines fuelling by checking for unburned oxygen in the exhaust, if there is unburned oxygen, it compensates by adding fuel; the second O2 sensor is mounted after the cat, and it is used to determine cat efficiency - how this works is the ECU compares the output of the two O2 sensors, if the cat is working, there should be less unburned oxygen after the cat, because it is used in the cat to complete the combustion of any partially burned hydrocarbons, so anytime the two sensors show similar levels of oxygen, the ECU will report a cat converter below efficiency error (PO420).

If I were changing an O2 sensor, it would be the front first, since that determines fuelling - by the way - how old are the sensors (in miles)? These are actually service items that need to be replaced, like spark plugs or filters, just at longer intervals.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have all the vehicles service records from previous owners and I don't remember sensors being replaced or the cats and my tracker has 245000 miles on it with 6000 on new engine.i made an error by telling them I thought my cat was bad I am suspecting now they just said yes its bad to make sale. that does not make me happy but at 245000 it was probably bad on top of my other problems.scangauge is different than a OBDII reader?

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
13,273 Posts
If this is your 2001, it is OBDII compliant. It would be to you advantage and less expensive to purchase a Live Data Scanner, than run to a mechanic, who generally charge 80-100 for the reading....

.... Philip

·
Registered
13,273 Posts
These are some of the most used in my tool chest.

First is an Autel MS509,
second is the Elm 327 BT Dongle
Third screen shot of Android with Torque Pro connected via BT..

I also have an Autel MD801 (looks like the 509), reads transmission, ABS, ect..

The computer based scanners have been relegated to the most difficult issues

....Philip

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks, looks like I don't have one, didn't think so but thought I would double check. Green hornet has been kind enough to offer help and he is only 60 miles away so once I tie in with him I will confirm or deny my problem with a scan

·
Registered
13,273 Posts
thanks, looks like I don't have one, didn't think so but thought I would double check. Green hornet has been kind enough to offer help and he is only 60 miles away so once I tie in with him I will confirm or deny my problem with a scan
Good luck, travel safe...

.... Philip

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
last time o2 sensor replaced

went through my service records that came with truck. last time o2 sensor was changed was in 07 at 147,000 so 97000 miles ago and the cats have never been replaced. these records show oil changes like clockwork every 3000 so I am almost positive I have everything. so with a 100,000 on o2 sensor its time to replace anyway correct?

·
Registered
13,273 Posts
Although a service item, the lifespan is greatly affected by the condition of the combustible gasses...

Last spring I encountered intermittent drive-ability issues... Every thing initially checked OK, but showed up on the LDS (graphed while driving) with the B1S1 occasionally dropping out (only between 1700-2100rpm), sending a lean burn signal to the ECU...

It is important that the O2 is switching well without bias...

......Philip

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
still there

well drove 103 miles without a hitch top off with fuel to get mileage head home 100 yards from house it comes back and bucks/sputters. Darn I was all happy it was fixed and bam not so fast. getting frustrated only good news milage back up to 23mpg on mountain roads

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
o2 sensor replaced

well replaced sensor drove 20 miles no issue. driving down to san diego tomorrow to see green hornet and we are going to hook it up to his scanner and will use it to confirm fix or try to find problem will post results and
THANKS EVERYBODY!!!!!! for the help and pointers :D :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.