Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm ignorant.

I'm considering buying a 2007 SX4 (1.6 Diesel) with over 100,000 miles on the clock and I asked the seller (a used car dealership) if the car had ever had a new cambelt/chain or water pump.

The dealership replied "According to mytimingbelt.com the cambelt is due at 144,000 or 14 years."

This sounded a bit unlikely, so I checked mytimingbelt.com and sure enough that's definitely what it says. But to how great an extent is it realistic?

And is it a chain or a belt?

And what's the water pump renewal situation?

Man, am I ignorant.

(Any other tips re. what to expect to have to replace at 100,000 miles would be much appreciated. Many thanks.)

AN EMBARRASSINGLY IGNORANT MAN

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
From what I can find out its a fiat jtd multijet 16v ,this is used by a few different car makers and they seem to have different ideas on belt change intervals. From what I've found at this age and milage I personally would want a new belt,idler, tensioner and waterpump. The pump seems to be the weakest link but not surprising at these mileages.

·
Registered
268 Posts
As mentioned, the crankshaft uses a timing belt
The cams use a chain between the two cams.
Water pump interval is to change the water pump every time one changes the timing belt

Why???
When changing the timing belt, one is already doing the same things to replace a water pump.
It is easier to do at the same time and a new water pump is less likely to fail.

·
Registered
388 Posts
From what I can find out its a fiat jtd multijet 16v ,this is used by a few different car makers and they seem to have different ideas on belt change intervals. From what I've found at this age and milage I personally would want a new belt,idler, tensioner and waterpump. The pump seems to be the weakest link but not surprising at these mileages.
I think you'll find that the larger SX4 diesel is Fiat while the 1.6l is the Ford/PSA DLD-416.
Similar arrangement of belt + chain.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks for the wisdom you've imparted. I'm now fractionally less ignorant (but not by much).

I decided to give the 100,000 mile+ SX4 a miss, but am now considering another 2WD diesel SX4 which is eight-and-a-half years old with only 56,000 miles on the clock.

What potential issues should I be looking out for, do you suppose? All suggestions gratefully received. Thanks, O gurus.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts