Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,
I just finished installing my system. 2x 6 1/2s in the front doors, 2x 6x9s in the back hatch cover (cut some holes and mounted them) running off the Kenwood deck and 1x 10" Pioneer sub running off a 500w Pioneer amp. and here is the problem... about half way through a bassy song the amp starts cutting out, like it's over heating, or turning itself off for my speakers protection, but it cuts out way too soon as my sub is no where near blowing. Any cure for this besides a new amp? better fuse? some settings? any ideas?
cheers

·
Registered
20 Posts
Maybe your amps are drawing too much power from your battery and the battery could not deliver so much current for the amps. if this is the problem a capacitor would help or a new bigger battery.

Another thing is maybe the gain for the sub amp is set too high and may overheat the amp faster that it would normally do.

This is just the opinion from the car audio fan that I am, hope it helps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
REEEELY QUICKLY! when it cuts out RUNBACKTHEREANDTOUCHIT!

if it burns your hand, its MOST LIKELY a power issue! so then what power wire are you running guage AND QUALITY. if you went shopping for parts at the swap meet, YOU FOUND YOUR PROBLEM! then, look at connections, fuse holder, etc.

MEMO: AMPS DO GET WARM... if you are not able to rest your full hand on top of for longer than 10 sec. ITS OVERHEATING.

IF ITS STILL COOL: then you have either a mechanical deffect with the amp, sub, or poss even your stereo. because the only way the amp will protect and still be cool is if something is getting crossed.

either way, you never mentioned anything about capacitors, or the such. caps are always a great idea. also what may help is bumping up the guage of your GROUND WIRE!

HOPE THAT HELPS ~ECHO!

·
Registered
165 Posts
These last two hit the nail on the head. First check that gain! Most likely set too high. And next would be quality, size and length of the ground wire. Make sure where you ground the wire to the chassis has been ground down to BARE metal and keep the length to a minimum. You should definately upgrade to at least a half-farad capacitor as well because the battery and charging system on our cars is crap. Another good upgrade is an Optima battery, it has cured alot of my problems combined with my ground upgrades. Let us know if this helps.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If his ground is not connecting well it will cause that exact problem it will heat up enough to cook on that bitch and it will shut off intermittently.

·
Registered
582 Posts
echoalpha23 said:
REEEELY QUICKLY! when it cuts out RUNBACKTHEREANDTOUCHIT!

if it burns your hand, its MOST LIKELY a power issue! so then what power wire are you running guage AND QUALITY. if you went shopping for parts at the swap meet, YOU FOUND YOUR PROBLEM! then, look at connections, fuse holder, etc.

MEMO: AMPS DO GET WARM... if you are not able to rest your full hand on top of for longer than 10 sec. ITS OVERHEATING.

IF ITS STILL COOL: then you have either a mechanical deffect with the amp, sub, or poss even your stereo. because the only way the amp will protect and still be cool is if something is getting crossed.

either way, you never mentioned anything about capacitors, or the such. caps are always a great idea. also what may help is bumping up the guage of your GROUND WIRE!

HOPE THAT HELPS ~ECHO!
*scratches head*... um ok?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Melissa, just check the grounding wire, and make sure its getting a good connection.. sometimes they wiggle around due to vibrations from the road, and sound system.. also check all the wires in the back of the amp, make sure they're installed well.. if thats all good, check your remote line.. make sure its not slipping and kicking it off.. if that doesnt work... send me a message.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Loganator said:
Melissa, just check the grounding wire, and make sure its getting a good connection.. sometimes they wiggle around due to vibrations from the road, and sound system.. also check all the wires in the back of the amp, make sure they're installed well.. if thats all good, check your remote line.. make sure its not slipping and kicking it off.. if that doesnt work... send me a message.
This wasnt my thread, someone else needed help, i just said um ok cause that message didnt make sence on how he put it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts