Suzuki Forums banner

Alto Oil Consumption

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  fordem 
#1 ·
Hi All, had my 2014 Alto serviced at Suzuki in September 22. Today while driving locally the red oil light came on intermittently. It was only for a few seconds then would go. Parked up the car and checked oil level, it was so low that it wasn’t even registering on the dip stick. It is normal for such high oil consumption? The dealership used 0w-20 oil. Since the service the car has done nearly 6k miles. Current mileage is 49k. What’s everyone else’s experience?

#5 ·
Just had a brief nose around the engine bay and underneath it, no obvious signs of oil leak. Will check under it properly tomorrow on a drive on ramp.

How much did they put in it when they did the service?
It was serviced at Crown Suzuki, didn’t check but I’m assuming they did a proper job.

At this point we know the distance driven, but not the amount of oil consumed - it makes it a little difficult to comment on the consumption. What I can say is a quart of oil in 6000 miles is not considered excessive.

You'll need to top it up and keep an eye on the level - only when you have records of how much oil is added and the distance driven can we comment on the consumption.
After the service at the dealership I requested a 1l bottle of oil just incase I needed to top up and also just to see what oil they use. I was given a morris lubricants multivis 0w-20. Was a bit suprised, the sticker on the slam panel of the Alto suggests Castrol Magnatec! Anyway I poured in the entire 1L and it’s just about registering in the dipstick now, still way way below min mark. I’ll have to go out and buy some oil tomorrow, maybe a different grade entirely. 5w-30 API SN

#3 ·
How much did they put in it when they did the service?

#4 ·
At this point we know the distance driven, but not the amount of oil consumed - it makes it a little difficult to comment on the consumption. What I can say is a quart of oil in 6000 miles is not considered excessive.

You'll need to top it up and keep an eye on the level - only when you have records of how much oil is added and the distance driven can we comment on the consumption.

#6 ·
Always a good idea to check oil/fluid levels on a regular basis - I check over our cars at least every 2 weeks and daily if away on holiday doing long distances.
Also has the advantage of looking round engine bay for any other potential issues.
Always make sure the car is on absolutely level ground to get consistent/accurate readings of oil level.

#8 ·
Believe it or not that’s exactly what I tell friends and family. Every time you fill up, assuming you fill up a full tank, check oil and tyre pressures.
I see your point about checking daily when on holiday. I did get caught out once on a week long trip to the lakes, had a T Reg mk4 Golf. Luckily happened to check when filling up before oil light came on

#12 ·
It’s probably also worth mentioning the car is on a ride sharing platform (Turo) that’s how I know it mainly does motorway miles. Before I listed on the platform I thought I’d let Suzuki themselves give it a once over even thought it’s nearly 9 yrs old now.

From the limited research I’ve done since last night, I’ve come to the conclusion that small eco cars like the Aygo also require 0w-20. It’s good for pottering around town, but if doing motorway mikes better to go 5w-30.

#15 ·
It’s probably also worth mentioning the car is on a ride sharing platform (Turo) that’s how I know it mainly does motorway miles.
I don't see the linkage between the car being on a "ride sharing platform" and it doing mainly motorway miles. I've never used Turo, but whenever I've used "ride share" vehicles, it's been to/from the airport. Looking at their website it seems to some sort of a rental platform with the vehicles not owned by the rental company, and even taking that into consideration, I don't see the linkage. I rent vehicles multiple times a year, and even if/when I rent in one city & return in another, my usage has never been "mainly motorway".

#14 ·
i have a 2012 alto with 45,000 miles, i use shell helix fully synthetic, 5x30 in mine, the car simply burns no oil from one year to the next, i always change the oil every year no matter what mileage i have done, i have always done this whatever car i have owned. to me its worth looking after the engine because its cheap to look after it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.