Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just bought my daughter a 998cc 2009 reg Alto and the engine idle is very low and almost stalling :unsure: is it possible to increase the idle speed? Usually just turn a screw on the metering unit but I can't figure this little engine out :rolleyes:

Any help much appreciated
Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Should be around 850 rpm, there must be something wrong because the idle speed is set by the ECU.
Don't temper with the screw that determines the throttle plate end position, it should stay fixed!

Only way to find the problem is to read the ECU memory with a OBD scanner, and go from there.

Some extra info; the idle is physically controller by the IACV(Idle Air Control Valve)

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
diagnosis is key, throttle bodies get gummed up, idle control valves do fail, as do other parts in the idle circuit.
There may be no codes to start the process.

DO NOT adjust the screw on the throttle plate, this setting is critical.
I had a similar issue on a car I own (different make and model, that damned RVR....) that would do it occasionally. Traced it to a faulty wax pellet cold idle circuit that wasn't working properly and the ECU was driving the IACV to its limit trying to compensate for the fault elsewhere in the system.
I removed both, used the ECU setpoint screw (yep, the one you never should touch) on the throttle body as a normal idle screw and put up with no fast idle when cold and just use the right foot to compensate until its warmed up.
Unfortunately yours may take some diagnosing to determine exactly whats faulty.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts