Suzuki Forums banner

Alto gearbox problem

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Oriskany 
#1 ·
Hi guys , new member so hope I am not going over old ground again with my post .
I have a 92 alto 800 cc, engine code F8B,she has only 13 k on the clock, when I start off the gear change is perfect but when she warms up getting into 3 rd is a real problem, I have to find 4 th and then go back to 3 and up to 4 . There is no problem going down , it’s silky smooth hot or cold . I adore the little wasp 🐝. Would anyone have any suggestions and what other gearbox would fit her if a change over was needed. Best regards.

#2 ·
Is it shifting ok thru all the gears stationary with engine running? I'm wondering if you might have a bit of clutch grab but it would usually show up as difficulty selecting gears when stopped.

When did it last have the oil changed in the gearbox? And what oil went in?

#3 ·
Thank you for your response, I just bought it recently and i checked the gearbox oil level but I have no idea what the guy used in the gearbox. It looked very clean but I have no idea if he used the correct oil . I might change it out and replace, what oil would you recommend . As I said, it changes perfect for the first ten minutes of driving and then the issue starts . Would the clutch issue be driving time related or would you start with oil change . ? Appreciate your help with this matter.

#4 ·
Clutch issues can certainly manifest as the area warms up. I'm not entirely convinced its the clutch tho. 13K sounds awfully early for gearbox issues, but if you don't know the service history or how its been driven, its wild guess. It might have spent most of that mileage in 3rd, who knows.

If you have the owners manual check oil type, but I think (don't quite ne tho) 75W90 GL4 about 2.5 litres from my very rusty memory from the one I owned years ago.

#6 ·
I used to own a Proton Wira 1600 and once changed the gearbox oil. I didn't have 75W90 oil handy so used 80W90 - more viscous and certainly more so at lower temperatures. The result was that I could not get into second gear until everything had warmed up considerably. I replaced the oil with 75W90 and the problem went away - try changing the gearbox oil and it may work - good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.