Suzuki Forums banner

Alto Engine Noise.

5K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Nitrious 
#1 ·
Hi,

Recently bought an 2009 Alto 1.0L with a K10B engine, and it has a noise that doesn't sound right.

Thought it was the timing chain, but have since opened up the cover (oil pan, timing chain cover, tappet cover) and checked the entire timing chain mechanism, and everything appears in order.

everything is back together but the noise persists. it just sounds very very rough, its especially noisy if you accelerate or decelerate.

car starts with no problems though although startup idle is 1500 rpm.. The 02 sensor does need replacement according to the odb2 scanner.

I could try and post the engine noise itself here, try and find a way.

any help or suggestions would be gratefully received.

#3 ·
Hi Nitrious how many miles has your engine done? It looks like aquanaut20 is on the right track regarding "big end" bearings. This does show up as you have mentioned and probably is more evident during deceleration. This type of bearing fault sounds like a large metal object being hit with a hammer.
In your position I would have a look at the condition the engines bottom end. On thing that is certain if the bottom end is the cause of the noise is you will get confirmation in the form of a oily hole in the engine block and a connecting rod neatly wrapped around a crank pin. Do not delay with an investigation.

#4 ·
Hi,

Thank you for the direction, with the timing chain knocked off the list, bearings were my next goto. Admittedly it was a coin toss between cylinder head/valves and bearings for me.

Since it's only on rpm increase/decrease with little noise at a stable rpm, I don't think it's gotten too bad yet, but I will order the spares needed and replace them urgently.

Cars done around 220k km's, and I have no service history. It does seem as if the engine was recently worked on though, and that low cost and speed of repair were the main agenda rather than get it right.

#5 ·
Hi,

Thank you for the direction, with the timing chain knocked off the list, bearings were my next goto. Admittedly it was a coin toss between cylinder head/valves and bearings for me.

Since it's only on rpm increase/decrease with little noise at a stable rpm, I don't think it's gotten too bad yet, but I will order the spares needed and replace them urgently.

Cars done around 220k km's, and I have no service history. It does seem as if the engine was recently worked on though, and that low cost and speed of repair were the main agenda rather than get it right.
Don't buy spares yet, confirm what's wrong, if it has hammered the mains, you might be in for a new crank as well, or machining and undersized bearings, thats machine shop Territory. Its not just a replace and it will be fine, they don't fail without good reason, and its usually 1 of 2 things, incorrect size or lack of oil.

#6 · (Edited)
you are correct, plastiguage seems to be a good option and was looking for a local supply. Also looking for a micrometer set and oil pressure gauge. if its low then it's hunting for the where/why.

Further I did leave out a few previous owner gotchas which were found while checking out the timing chain.

first thing i did when i got it home was a full service, the oil that came out can only be described as old nasty sludge.

image 1, 14 only had 1 o ring, and plenty of gasket sealer. (replaced 2x already)

image 2, 7 was not even present. (replaced, need an OEM one though)

as i go along checking through the car, I'm also making a list of additional needed items to be replaced.

sound seems to be on the timing chain side of the engine, loudest there.

Font Parallel Engineering Technical drawing Slope

Font Line Auto part Parallel Design

#7 ·
Plastigauge should be readily available from any engineering merchant
I wouldn't invest in micrometers yet, expensive investment and you heed the crank out to measure properly
If you gave found that much already, you heed to certainly look further, especially if the previous person used rtv, that stuff breaks off and blocks oil, gallery's like the ones to the timing chain tensioner and the overhead gear.

Be methodical and check everything.

Oil pressure gauge is a very sensible move, and gives a good starting point. If bearings are worn, expect pressure to be lower than spec

#9 ·
I have been considering buying another used engine but after looking at a few examples they look like they need repair themselves.

It just seems easier to sort out the one I have at this point.

Spares are being sourced cheaply, however, so even a full rebuild won't cost much in money, time will be a few days though plus the purchase of tools I'll likely use once or twice.

It's all good though as I'll eventually (this year hopefully still) convert it to an ev, and just need the engine to keep going a while longer.

#10 ·
Slight update, I've arranged a personal shopper service in India to purchase my spares from maruti suzuki directly then ship them onto me.

The fantastic prices and highly personalized experience make this a very viable option imo.

Over this weekend I'll have a chance to check bearings and can then order appropriately.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.