Suzuki Forums banner

Alto 2013 speaker upgrade

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  MoMoJo 
#1 ·
Hi

I have a standard Alto 2013 with 2 stock dash speakers.

I would like to upgrade them. Is it worth just getting new dash speakers at 150watt?

Or is it needed to buy and run new cables to the front doors and get new speakers?

Don't know what the stock speakers are but they sound rubbish now!

#2 ·
Not an easy question to answer with the limited information you've provided - I don't know if the UK has an equivalent to Crutchfield.com or the BestBuy chain, but I'd suggest you find someone local and have a discussion with them.

First - the speaker "power rating" (how many watts) is dictated by the output power of the device driving them, the head unit or if you're going to fit one, the power amplifier - most aftermarket head units have an output of 20 watts RMS/50 watts peak, so unless you're planning to add an amp, there would be little advantage to purchasing speakers that handle more than that, there's also the matter of speaker sensitivity, speakers that can handle more power are less sensitive (they require power to drive them).

On to your second question - does the car have provision to accept speakers in the door? If it doesn't you're looking fitting them will require custom enclosure fabrication, probably more than you're capable of doing on your own, and I suspect more expensive than you're willing to pay.

Moving on to the stock speakers - I have no idea what fits an Alto 2013 but it's not a high end vehicle so Suzuki would most likely have fitted a basic paper coned speaker with a whizzer, just about any aftermarket speaker of the same dimensions will sound better, coaxials will be easier to mount, we don't know what your musical taste is lime, if the speakers are less than a 6" and you like bass, maybe add a small active subwoofer under one of the front seats.

Lastly I want to point out that trying to install a system designed for anything more than "easy listening" in a vehicle like an Alto will require a considerable amount of work - cars are designed to move people, rather than to provide an ideal "listening environment", in fact, I consider the average car to be a very poor listening environment and whilst I will admit to having installed some fairly complex car systems, separate speakers, bi-amped systems with active crossovers, my focus has shifted, a decent after market head unit, decent speakers and a small active sub works for me.

#3 ·
Thanks Fordem,

Yes, it's just not worth spending loads to create amazing sound in the alto.

For now I guess just replace the stock speakers with some coaxials for a slightly better sound.

I have a spare stereo in the cupboard so might mount that in the dash to increase the speaker output.

Again thanks for the reply (y)

#4 ·
Decent quality speakers make the world' of difference

However, don't go stupid as the factory wiring isn't fantastic. I replaced the ones in my swift with some 40W Sony's and the difference in sound on the standard stereo was like night and day. Replaced the head unit with a cheap and cheerful unit a few months later so I had Bluetooth for phone calls and its even better.

Not a big car, doesn't need massive power unless you want to test how much the body panels will flex on each bass beat

#5 ·
I upgraded mine to a single din head unit and installed an under seat pioneer sub which was around £100 off Amazon. Using the head unit x over I can send mid and high range to dash speaker and <120hz frequency to sub. Play around and set the eq to your taste. This has dramatically improved the sound stage. I don’t find it lacking in any sort of music now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.