Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planing on taking a trip in a few weeks in my 1988 Samurai that will take me from 2,500 feet to just over 10,000 feet. 1.3L engine has the original carb on it, and the engine has been rebuilt (.030 over) and has 2 inch exhaust. Is it a bad idea to take the samurai to that altitude? Or are there any adjustments I should be prepared to do to the carburetor as I get up that high? Any thoughts would be useful.

Thanks,
Nathan

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
There was a high-altitude jetting for the stock carb though I don't recall what altitude is was intended for.

·
Registered
13 Posts
at 10,000 ft you might need rejetting a bit, too! i used to live in johannesburg, 1750 m, slightly more than half what you're going up to and certainly with regard to 'proper' running we used to lean off the mixture a bit especially with high performance motors - which the suzi is not!
i'd leave it where it is, but learn how to lean your specific carb off a bit just in case it becomes necessary. DON'T forget to reset it as you come down again or you might possibly burn pistons!!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
If its a US model then the stock carb usually has an altitude compensator.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks rhinoman and henwilv that's what I was looking for. I appreciate the help.

BTW henwilv, I was just in Joburg two weeks ago. Fun place.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I forgot about the compensator initially because the UK models have a different carb.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts