Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. First time posting here as I'm not the "proud" owner of an XL7. First issues already starting. Car drove fine for 2 days or so then it got a little cold out. I turned on the car and it had the message on the dash saying something along the lines of "service charging system" with the red battery icon. I realized I had left the dome light on and figured this was all it was, a drained battery. I checked the terminals, while running with lights and radio on, and they were reading 14.## volts. I assumed everything was good to go as this usually indicates that the alternator is working fine. Assuming all was well i went on my way. After some driving around and a few stops I was greeted with the message that the car was entering battery saver mode. When I got home checked the battery and it was reading about 10V even with the car running. So now I'm under the impression that the alternator has cut out. Bringing the battery in to bench charge it overnight and replace into car. What fuses do I need to check and where please to make sure those are good. If those are good and battery holds a charge I'm going to assume that the alternator is dead. I took off the cover to the fuses and cant find any listed as alternator or charging. SO which fuses do I need to check? Also after some googling i found that there is also a 200A generator fuse somewhere off from the starter that I should check. Is this accurate, and if this is bad is this readily available at like auto zone? Can you give me a ballpark where I should look for this 200A fuse? Thanks for the help. I'm car repair savy for the most part, just a new car and need the help. I dont have a repair manual for this vehicle. Haven't been able to find one yet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I've since checked each and every fuse since I have no idea which one it is. They all "appear" in good order. The battery terminals are clean and I also bench charged the battery to make sure it had a solid charge. The alternator looks brand new. It appears to be running as it gets hot. I checked the voltage at the alternator terminals and read 14.4-14.8V. So I'm guessing this indicates that it is indeed working fine. Again I checked the voltage at the battery terminals and (since it had been running/draining battery) I was getting 11.2V. So What would prevent a perfectly good alternator from getting its juice to the battery? Again I checked the fuses and they all "appear" to be good. Please any advice is appreciated especially related to which fuses I need to check (they are all numbered so just giving me the numbers work). Also while watching the dash I was able to see the V on the battery drop from 11.4 to 11.0 and so on. I stopped there. Clearly it isn't charging.

·
Registered
8,983 Posts
Check the cable from the alternator to the battery, you may have a broken or corroded wire...

.... Philip

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi there, I am having the same issues with my xl7 2008, I need help to locate the 200amp mega fuse, where is it?? I know its in between the alternator cable to the starter but I can't find it!! Do I have to remove the alternator to find it?? Any help please!

·
Registered
6 Posts
well the problem was solved with replacing the 200A fuse.
Hi there, I am having the same issues with my xl7 2008, I need help to locate the 200amp mega fuse, where is it?? I know its in between the alternator cable to the starter but I can't find it!! Do I have to remove the alternator to find it?? Any help please!

·
Registered
8,983 Posts
There is no cable between the alternator and starter, the alternator terminates at the power distribution box (fuse box) and the starter directly at the battery..

·
Registered
6 Posts
There is no cable between the alternator and starter, the alternator terminates at the power distribution box (fuse box) and the starter directly at the battery..
Ok then what is this 200amp fuse everyones talking about that I can find anywhere?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Also would I damage anything if I ran a second wire from the alternator directly to the battery?? To let the alternator get a better connection to the battery in case the wire is corroded somewhere?

·
Registered
6 Posts

It might be this.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Ok I will look into this thanks, I also forgot to add that I only found one bolt holding the alternator not 2 so can that have anything to do with it?? Another thing I thought of was running a piggyback gauge wire from the alternator straight to the battery and or running a separate ground from the alternator to the body, what do y'all think about that idea??

·
Registered
8,983 Posts
Running the additional wires cannot hurt, provided you install protection on the positive lead (fuse)..

Have you used a meter to check for voltage drop on the charge circuit ??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts