Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2002 1.3 L Jimny here in Panama. It's been trouble free until recently. I just replaced the 4th belt in as many months. Everything seems to be aligned perfectly, proper tension, etc. I will hear an unusual noise and then the alternator light comes on. On one occasion the belt actually burned so bad the engine compartment was black with soot. The local mechanics are mystified. Any experiences with this problem? Any suggestions? Help!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sounds like something seizing up and breaking the belt. Have you checked the alternator bearings and the water pump bearings to see they are free running and not worn or grabbing?

·
Registered
686 Posts
In the absence of any other explanation, I believe I would remove and load test the alternator on a bench. I would wonder if it isn't dragging hard when placed under load. My experience of this problem was on a Fiat 124 Spyder but symptoms were the same (I believe diode trio was out but cant recall for sure, it still charged...sometimes).

Tony

·
Registered
2 Posts
Fanbelt problems on 04 Jimny

Hi I have a similar problem with my 04 Jimney, 3 fanbelts in quick sucession. I changed the altenator after the 2nd time but belt has gone again after just a few miles. Did you solve your problem? & if so any advise?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I finally got a mechanic to address my problem and so far so good. His diagnosis:

The Jimny had sat unused for over a month in the humidity of Central America and the edges of the pulleys had corroded to the point they were abrading the belts. He showed me and they were indeed rough. After an hour of sandpaper and a wire brush attachment on my drill they seemed to be smooth again. We replaced the belts with original Suzuki belts and I haven't had any problems for several months. I think regular usage keeps the rust away.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
fanbelt problems on 04 Jimny

Many thanks for describing your solution. After the Christmas holiday I will check out the pully wheels for ware. In the mean time I'm going to order belts from Suzuki.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts