Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 tracker 4WD that I thought had a failing starter. New battery connection terminals fixed that. Now the battery isn't charging. I had the battery tested and it's fine, my alternator is putting out 12 volts at idle. I started the Tracker, unhooked the battery, and then put on the head lights. It stalled immediately.

I sm guessing that my alternator just failed? I have 90k on the Truck.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
99 Tracker, 5 door, 2L, 4x4
10,376 Posts
I have a 95 tracker 4WD that I thought had a failing starter. New battery connection terminals fixed that. Now the battery isn't charging. I had the battery tested and it's fine, my alternator is putting out 12 volts at idle. I started the Tracker, unhooked the battery, and then put on the head lights. It stalled immediately.

I sm guessing that my alternator just failed? I have 90k on the Truck.

Thanks guys
You sure are guessing:confused:, and disconnecting the battery :eek: is a sure sign that you have a negligible amount of knowledge..

You car has an electronic engine management system (ECU) which suffers adverse reactions to unregulated power supplies or power spikes...

I recommend you visit an auto electrician (not auto supply store) and get professional help....

.... Philip

·
Super Moderator
24,990 Posts
x2. You are dealing with a car that has a computer that runs it - the electronics are far different from an older carb engine, where disconnecting the battery might be acceptable. The electronics on your car need to be dealt with properly!!
In any event, your battery should pull 12.6v when the car is off. Start the car, and battery voltage should be 14v or so, as the alternator is charging the battery. There are many places that will test your alternator for you, so you don't have to guess....

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Don't unhook the battery with the engine running, you get a phenomenon called 'automotive load dump', it can put over 100V through your electrics.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm asking because I don't know how to do the job. The voltage is low so I believe my alternator is going. If I had the money to hire some guy at $100 an hour I would have done so. I'm driving this car because it is all I can afford. I would really appreciate so posative feedback or even specific instructions. The voltage is nowhere near 14 while running I at least got that far as I have stated before. I found a guy on eBay that sells guaranteed remanufactured alternators for $60 shipped, money well spent I believe. My neighbor has a lifted Suzuki Samurai from the 80's with Toyota Axels and 40" mud tires I'm sure he knows how to swap an alternator.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Any of the auto parts store will load check your battery AND alternator for FREE with the hopes that you will buy parts from them.

You can at least get a price from them and ask about the warranty which I doubt you will get a warranty from ebay.

So there is a place to start that won't cost you anything and should get you pointed in the right direction.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any of the auto parts store will load check your battery AND alternator for FREE with the hopes that you will buy parts from them.

You can at least get a price from them and ask about the warranty which I doubt you will get a warranty from ebay.

So there is a place to start that won't cost you anything and should get you pointed in the right direction.
I already brought it to autozone they said my battery is fine my alternator is low. So I just need an alternator.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I already brought it to autozone they said my battery is fine my alternator is low. So I just need an alternator.
I guess I missed that post.

So now you just have to ask the guy on ebay what his warranty is. Then talk to Autozone asking the very same questions. Keeping in mind you can get a replacement alternator from Autozone the same day, if that means anything to you.

ps. IF you wait too long you will need a battery also.

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Keep in mind, the charging capacity of an alternator is dictated, not only by the battery condition, but also the vehicle charge circuit...

Many alternators have been mistakenly changed/condemned, for a fault of the "mechanic", failing to ensure the circuitry is intact...

.... Philip

·
Super Moderator
24,990 Posts
If the wiring, connections, etc. are not good, a new alternator will have the same result. The point of Aqua's post above is that you must make sure that the circuit (wiring, etc) is good before assuming that the alternator is bad.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the wiring, connections, etc. are not good, a new alternator will have the same result. The point of Aqua's post above is that you must make sure that the circuit (wiring, etc) is good before assuming that the alternator is bad.
Great, I am nut sure if that is the issue or not. I gotta find a local mechanic now.

·
Registered
10,376 Posts
Great, I am nut sure if that is the issue or not. I gotta find a local mechanic now.
You need to consult an auto electric technician (specialized), not just a mechanic...

Does the charge light illuminate at key on and extinguish when engine running?

.... Philip

1 - 12 of 12 Posts