Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year, Zukiworld! My Sammy drives great at night (with the A/C and Headlights on). However, when I turn off the engine and have it restarted, the battery will be low on juice!

Driving it without the A/C wont drain the battery. I started the Sammy and disconnected the positive batt terminal and the engine kept on running.
It would keep on running even if i switch on the park light, wipers and a/c blower.

Whenever I turn on the following gadgets, the engine dies:
(1) headlights
(2) airconditioning

My battery is 1SM (small 12V batt).

Should I change to a larger batt?...say..a 2SM? Is my alternator already on the brink of conking out? Should I have it serviced or replaced?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm pretty sure that your alternator isn't the problem. It wouldn't stay running with the battery disconnected if your alternator was bad. How old is your battery? What's the CCA rating on it? I've got an Optima 75/25 red top in mine, excellent battery. If you don't want to spend the money on an Optima, find a group 25 battery with some good CCA (over 500)

·
Registered
9 Posts
definitely sounds like battery,

find a multimeter and test the battery voltage with the engine off and with it running... with a good battery and alternator not running should be about 12v and running should be about 14v

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have a few questions

1) Did you change your headlamps from 60/50 that came with the vehicle?
2) Do you have a radio that uses a lot of power?
3)When you switch on the head lamp or AC does the engine idle up?

The Sami comes with a small Alternator and anything that draws too much power will lead to premature battery failure. I learned that the hard way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts