Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out what parts I actually got with this samurai.

Here are a few pictures.

This is what I started out with.

I noticed that the shifter is not in the stock location so I dug a little further.

I don't know if this hydraulic set up is stock or not.

It certainly doesn't look like it. So now I don't know what trans is in this thing but I do have two spare samurai transmissions and three other transfer cases.

I've got the engine down to the bare block and the rebuild kit on the way.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Not sure about all the parts but I hope you didnt have to pay much $$$ for that zuk.Never seen a shifter there before??

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
then they probably put the isuzu tranny in it too. Trying to fab a mounting plate for an isuzu motor to a samurai tranny and then expecting it to hold up to that kind of power on those gear ratios would be rediculous. The hydraulic clutch is def not stock and most likely the isuzu clutch as well. Does it run? Do you know if it ever ran after the transplant?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It did run after the transplant. About a year or so before the kid blew it up. I've got the engine and running gear from another samurai/tracker set up and that is what will be going in. We just got some more snow and my 1.6 rebuild kit isn't here yet so there is no sense in pulling the rest of the drivetrain just yet.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Wow!!!

And I thought the one I bought was rough oh well have fun these things are a blast. Good luck on finding parts there are a lot of them on ebay at least the ones that I didn't buy.:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought it and more parts than you want me to list for $750.

I'm having fun with the build, I just want to know where I stand and what I've got that's worth a dang.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Well, you are going to love the journey. The first adventure is just getting the zook to the level you want it. Unforunately I found that every time I got mine to where I wanted it, I would do another type of trail and find something else that could use an upgrade or tweak. It is a never-ending adventure (and I love it!)
;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From the research I've done so far, it looks as though the diesel and trans were most likely a 1.8 from an early 80's chevette. The chevette trans has the clutch fork on the bottom and the same lever on the outside. They are significantly longer than the samurai trans also which would explain the location of the shifter. I'm gonna pull it when I'm done with the engine and set it aside to be looked at during warm weather. The stock samurai transfer case is there along with stock drive shafts. That chevette diesel made less power than the 1.3 but a little more torque. Seems like an aweful lot of work for little reward.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts