Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just had Crutchfield install an Alpine HCE-TCAM1-WRA rear camera, backup light and stop light unit on my 1989 Suzuki Sidekick. It fits in the center of the rear spare tire. I wish that I could post a picture but photo uploads have been busted for a while. You can Google "Alpine HCE-TCAM1-WRA" to see it.

This Alpine unit is meant for a Jeep Wrangler with a 5x5" bolt pattern. However, the elongated holes of the mounting plate also fit the 5x5.5" bolt pattern of a Suzuki Sidekick. It is a perfect drop-in fit!

Mounting the rear backup camera at the center of the spare tire has advantages over a license plate mount as the spare tire is closer to the center line of the car than the license plate.

The Alpine unit can be disconnected to allow the removal of the spare tire. I believe that this is the best choice for Jeeps or Suzukis with the tailgate spare tire mount!

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
What's even better than a picture?

Nice unit!
Thanks for sharing.

Don

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 3 elongated holes on the mounting plate allows the Alpine HCE-TCAM1-WRA to fit both the 5x5" bolt pattern of a Jeep spare tire and the 5x5.5" bolt pattern of a Suzuki spare tire.

Here is how it looks on my 1989 Suzuki Sidekick.

In my humble opinion, the Alpine HCE-TCAM1-WRA is a better fit for the Suzuki.
  1. It is a firmer fit because the Suzuki bolts align with the outer edges of the elongated holes.
  2. The Suzuki electrical interface is standard with no need for the special interface required by the Jeep factory radio.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lug Nuts

Since the Alpine HCE-TCAM1-WRA was made for a Jeep, the lug nut that secures it is threaded for a Jeep. There is a black rubber cover over the lug nut at the center of the Alpine HCE-TCAM1-WRA. The lug nut secures the unit to the mounting plate. When the cover is removed, the lug nut is revealed.

The thread size for a HCE-TCAM1-WRA lug nut is 1/2" x 20 where 1/2" is the bolt diameter and 20 threads per inch represents the pitch. A 60-degree tapered cone seat is required to properly mate with the HCE-TCAM1-WRA. The length of the lug nut should not exceed 1.5-inch. Otherwise, the lug nut will protrude too far to be covered by the rubber Alpine cap.

On the right is the original lug nut that comes with the HCE-TCAM1-WRA. On the left is a locking lug nut for a Jeep that I purchased from Gorilla Automotive.

The Gorilla Automotive model 21681SD small diameter lug nut lock fits the HCE-TCAM-WRA perfectly! Other lug nut locks may work but the model 21681SD is the one that I have installed and can attest to.

·
Super Moderator
12,172 Posts
That's a neat idea for a backup camera, but as far as using it on a Suzuki goes, you need to be aware that high mount stop lights are required to be on the vehicle center line - I've never seen a Suzuki that had the spare wheel mounted on the vehicle center line.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
I've never seen a Suzuki that had the spare wheel mounted on the vehicle center line.
He never said anything about the spare wheel being mounted on the vehicle's center-line.
What he did say was that it was closer to the center-line than the license plate holder & that it is in the center of the rear spare tire.
(I've never seen any other location for a spare tire holder other than inside)

Still, I am happy with my license plate-light mounted camera.

Don

·
Super Moderator
12,172 Posts
Don - in addition to being a backup camera, the Alpine unit is also a high mount stop light - that's the reason it needs to be mounted on the vehicle centerline.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmmm...

I'm not aware that Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108, Section 5.1.1.27(b), which governs the center high-mounted stop light (CHMSL), applies to multipurpose passenger vehicles or light trucks manufactured prior to 9/01/1993.

There is another CHMSL from Rampage that AutoZone recommends for my 1989 Suzuki Sidekick: http://www.autozone.com/collision-body-parts-and-hardware/high-mount-stop-light/suzuki/sidekick?vehicleSet=true. Unfortunately, the Rampage CHMSL will still be mounted off-center.

As for my Alpine HCE-TCAM1-WRA, I can disconnect the stoplight feature if it needs to be disabled. The backup camera and backup light will still continue to work. However, since my 1989 Sidekick is over 25 years old, my state does not even require annual safety inspections for it.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
I do like your camera setup and the stop light as well.

I was showing mine off, more to display my wife's friends personalized license plate than anything else.
She had me take a picture of it the day she received them and I've "photoshopped" it in where ever I can.
It hasn't been deciphered yet unfortunately, or maybe that's a good thing.
LOL!!

I was pleased with my camera in that it was included along with the radio and
the ease of installation, it even had the 1" drill bit. Then only required one more hole for the wiring.
I'm getting ready to install one on the 94 but it's a surface mount and will
require some ingenuity - or another purchase.
This radio/MP5 player has the hookup & I already had the camera.
It was a bargain for less than $50 bucks, it's only the grocery getter.

With no inspections, I wouldn't think it should be an issue for you, same for me.

Don

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
This was my previous rear view camera. It was inserted into a hole drilled into the hubcap of the spare tire.

It produced a grainy picture and sometimes did not work when it rained. When the spare tire was removed, the hubcap will hang loosely by the camera wire. I was afraid that a careless tire rotation worker may someday rip the camera and hubcap off the wire.

The Alpine HCE-TCAM1-WRA has a wiring interface that can be disconnected if the spare tire needs to be removed. The camera produces a much higher resolution picture.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
cool!

That is a great looking hubcap.

Don

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is a great looking hubcap.

Don

Thanks for the compliment!

Here's what my Sidekick used to look like before installation of the Alpine HCE-TCAM1-WRA:

I agree that the simple black hubcap with the tiny camera looks cleaner than the busy mosaic-like Alpine assembly. The hubcap and rims are from Black Rock Wheels (https://www.blackrockwheels.com).

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It has been over two years since I purchased the Alpine HCE-TCAM1-WRA. This fall, I noticed that water has been condensing inside the unit. Water droplets can be seen inside the rear backup light. The rear camera image is foggy because water has reach the lens.

Since the Alpine HCE-TCAM1-WRA has a 3-year warranty, I drove to Charlottesville, Virginia, yesterday where Crutchfield replaced the unit without charge. Now the Alpine unit returns a clear and pristine image to my display!

The warranty service from Alpine and Crutchfield has been phenomenal!

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is a photo of water condensate inside the Alpine unit. Note the droplets on the lens of the backup light.

The water also reached the bottom of the unit which houses the backup camera. This resulted in a very blurry image on the display.

Fortunately, the 3-year warranty was still in effect and the waterlogged unit was replaced by a new unit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts