Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again all! I have a 2000 Esteem with a 1.8 and I was wondering if anyone else has an issue with their vehicle rising between the halfway point and hot but not overheating? This has confounded me and the person that works on it when I feel it's above my paygrade. I have a factory thermostat that's about a year on. the radiator is about 4 years old and still seems to be running correct. The heater core is good too. I just put on a new water pump (after market) and it still seems to be doing it. The only thing I haven't checked (replaced) is the coolant temp sensor. Could this be the cause of the problem? Oh, it seems that the radiator fan isn't kicking on as fast as it should. When it does kick on, the temp goes back to normal. Please help! Thanking all of you in advance!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Hello again all! I have a 2000 Esteem with a 1.8 and I was wondering if anyone else has an issue with their vehicle rising between the halfway point and hot but not overheating? This has confounded me and the person that works on it when I feel it's above my paygrade. I have a factory thermostat that's about a year on. the radiator is about 4 years old and still seems to be running correct. The heater core is good too. I just put on a new water pump (after market) and it still seems to be doing it. The only thing I haven't checked (replaced) is the coolant temp sensor. Could this be the cause of the problem? Oh, it seems that the radiator fan isn't kicking on as fast as it should. When it does kick on, the temp goes back to normal. Please help! Thanking all of you in advance!
Hi, I am having the exact same problem with my 2002 1.8 Esteem, and the problem actually started last summer, my cooling fan died and while stuck in a traffic jam the gauge was nearly in the red by the time I noticed it, I turned around and headed home and ended up parked under some trees for over an hour letting the engine cool down.

Once the fan assembly was replaced the car seemed to be fine again and then one really hot day when it was over 90 degrees (F) the needle started to climb again and peaked about half way between "half way" and the red mark, although once I was moving again and headed downhill the needle went back to the half way place.

Fall/Winter weather hit and the car never overheated again until about a week ago on (again) another really hot day and while going uphill, and (again) once I was moving again and headed downhill the needle went back to the half way place and hasn't done it again since then.

My radiator is less than 5 years old, the radiator fan is less than a year old, the thermostat I don't remember how old it is but its less than seven years old, I'm using that red antifreeze for Asian built cars, and the lower radiator hose isn't getting sucked shut on high RPMs.

I was -going- to replace my water pump this weekend but since it didn't help your problem any I'm going to hold off on doing that since its a gigantic pain of a project to replace.

If I figure out anything I'll let you know.

EDIT: One thing I just thought of is that the transmission is overheating and flooding the bottom of the radiator with heat from the transmission cooler lines, moving this to an external transmission cooler is something I have considered doing but haven't had the time yet.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
One thing I just thought of is that the transmission is overheating and flooding the bottom of the radiator with heat from the transmission cooler lines, moving this to an external transmission cooler is something I have considered doing but haven't had the time yet.
I think you are on to something, any heat added to an already tight cooling system could tax it greatly.
The addition of a small cooler could be beneficial.

I found an electronic fan controller that can be adjusted in ten-degree increments, I don't know if it could work for your situation if the ECU is controlling the fan function.

Don

^_^

·
Registered
811 Posts
I think you are on to something, any heat added to an already tight cooling system could tax it greatly.
The addition of a small cooler could be beneficial.

I found an electronic fan controller that can be adjusted in ten-degree increments, I don't know if it could work for your situation if the ECU is controlling the fan function.

Don

^_^

I don't think that would work since the ECU is controlling the fan on this car.

I did find this on Autozone's website, it says that its 5 x 12.75 inches and only weighs 1.6 pounds, which I think will fit behind the open spot on the lower bumper on the passenger side of the car.

https://www.autozone.com/transmission-and-drive-train/transmission-cooler/compressor-works-transmission-oil-cooler/267252_0_0

eBay's "Will this fit your car?" says that it is not compatible, but some specs that I found on it elsewhere says that it will work with "SUB-COMPACT TO COMPACT CARS", and at 2,600 pounds I would call the Esteem a compact car, and with a little ingenuity and creativity I think it will work.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
That looks like it would do the job.

Here is another for consideration.

https://www.amazon.com/HAYDEN-TRANSAVER-PLUS-COOLER-OC-1676-NORMAL/dp/B009TAAKFW/ref=sr_1_22?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1527578299&sr=1-22&keywords=transmission+cooler

I have used Hayden coolers on several projects.
The plate coolers are nice, I like having fittings on the ends, though that's just me.

Derail is another good brand.

Don

^_^

Nice! Much cheaper and about the same size.

Snaking the hoses around the A/C condenser is going to be interesting.

·
Super Moderator
12,173 Posts
For those of you considering adding a transmission cooler on a compact sedan - have you ever actually looked at the transmission fluid temperature?

One of my 4WDs is equipped with an automatic transmission, and has the stock transmission "cooler" in the radiator bottom tank - I fitted a temperature gauge in the line leading to the cooler and have yet to see the transmission fluid temp even approach the cooling system temperatures.

If you're not towing, climbing steep hills or running in deep, soft sand, the probability of the transmission being the source of the additional heat is low.

Get yourself an infrared temperature gun, they're not expensive, and see just how hot the vehicle is actually getting before you go any further with the diagnosis.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Main reason none of the coolers 'fit' is the size of the lines. Basically 5/16 and all the coolers are larger.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Main reason none of the coolers 'fit' is the size of the lines. Basically 5/16 and all the coolers are larger.
I've run into this before, back when I had my 1999 Esteem 1.6 I needed to replace the hoses from the transmission to the radiator cooler the parts guy said "Just use 3/8" its the same thing"...

Well... 3/8" and 10mm are NOT the same thing they are close but 3/8" is just small enough to be too tight to go on when the metal tubing has the anti-slip ring crimped into the end of it.

3/8" = 9.525mm

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the delay. It wouldn't let me log in for some reason. I found out that it actually was the coolant temperature sensor. A $12 sensor that I got from autopartswarehouse.com! Those other ideas you guys had were great, and since I live in the South (lol) I may invest in those as precaution!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts