Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi can someone please tell me if it's okay to change my 16 inch alloy wheels and put
17inch on my 2011 swift, or will it affect the brakes.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
Hi can someone please tell me if it's okay to change my 16 inch alloy wheels and put
17inch on my 2011 swift, or will it affect the brakes.
I assume you are going lower profile to keep same overall diameter the same, then no, won't affect the brakes.

·
Super Moderator
12,340 Posts
I assume you are going lower profile to keep same overall diameter the same, then no, won't affect the brakes.
Ahhh - maintaining the same rolling diameter will not affect gearing/acceleration - whether or not braking is affected is a little more complex.

What impacts the braking is rotating mass, and the distance from center, both of which are going to change when you go to a larger rim. A larger rim puts the tire, which is the rotating mass, further from the axle so that it requires more braking effort to stop it, it you're running a lighter tire, it becomes a "non-issue", if you're running the same weight tire, the effect is minimal, if you're running a wider, lower profile tire, which is common, it can become a major issue.

Way back I used to run a Suzuki Swift, and I went from the stock 155/70R13 tires on steel wheels, to alloy wheels with 185/60R13 tires, the difference in diameter was 0.2", the weight difference was negligible as the lighter rims were offset by the heavier tire - braking was where the impact was most noticeable - the brakes did slow the car, but it was no longer possible to "lock" the front wheels up under braking, a combination of the rotating mass, and the extra rubber on the road - I fixed the problem by swapping in the larger brakes from the Swift GTi.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts