Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting Rhinopower to read data from my car's ALDL based ECU is driving me nuts. There's about a dozen different diagrams available online ranging from simple resistor and transistor setups to ones that use a full MAX232 and then of course there's the USB-only adapter Rhinopower themselves sell for way too much. I already tried one serial adapter and that both didn't work and blew up my ECU. What's the best method of getting a rhinopower compatible data stream out of an ALDL ECU?

·
Super Moderator
12,193 Posts
Since you're posting in a Suzuki forum, I'm going to assume you have a Suzuki, in which case, you don't have an ALDL interface, it's SDL - a proprietary Suzuki serial data link.

Out of curiosity, how much is Rhinopower asking for their interface?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right, sorry. Early Tracker which is essentially the Vitara and yeah, my bad, it's SDL protocols through an ALDL connector.
Rhinopower wants £52.00 for their adapter which is essentially a serial-USB FTDI chip and a bunch of other surface mount parts on a custom made PCB. He had the full schematics and parts list up for a while until he realized that people were not buying his adapter then so he took it down. The problem for me is that my main preference here is a serial connection and not USB and SDL has been around long enough that a serial solution MUST exist.

·
Super Moderator
12,193 Posts
Correction - it's SDL protocols and voltage levels through an ALDL connector.

The problem you're going to be faced with is that SDL does not use a standard RS232 baud rate - off the top of my head it's 7812 or 15625 bps - which the UART chips on most serial ports can't do.

Personally I run Rhinoview with a commercially available USB interface (J1962 - OBD II connector) which is more expensive than the Rhinopower one (I bought it before Rhinoman started offering his version) and there's no guarantee of compatability - the supplier actually refused to sell it to me until I agreed that he would not be held responsible if it didn't do what I wanted.

Here's how I see it - you can hunt down the different circuits and try your hand at building them, it's an investment in time & money with no guarantees, and there is the risk, as you have already discovered, of damage to your ECU - or you can buy the tried & tested, professionally designed Rhinoview interface and know that it will work - your choice.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right, so no serial solution exists apparently then. That's kind of dumb if the only proven solution is to pay through the nose for a lousy adapter.

·
Super Moderator
12,193 Posts
You don't need an interface or Rhinoview to diagnose a problem with the vehicle, you can insert a jumper (or diagnostic fuse), count the flashes and look up the codes - what you need to do, and how you go about doing it are documented in the FSM for your vehicle.

Apparently you're looking for more - as I was - how about you design your own hardware interface, sit down & reverse engineer the communication protocols, and then write your own application?

Do you think you have what it takes?

Would you like to price a Tech1 or a Tech2 with the necessary adapter & cartridge, see what that'll set you back?

Rhinoman has put a lot of time & hard work into reverse engineering the SDL protocols, he doesn't have to make that available to you, he's designed an interface that works, and made that available also, and given the fact that he's made it available for less than I paid for the interface I have, I'm going to guess that he's not doing it at a profit.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
there's the USB-only adapter Rhinopower themselves sell for way too much.
The interface is priced similar to other interfaces of this type. The price of the interface has to cover business overheads as well as the cost of the components themselves. As well as the usual everyday business expenses such as corporation tax, income tax, bank charges and national insurance taxes Rhinopower has purchased over forty ECUs which are used for product testing and have recently invested over $1000 on the complete SDL database which will mean that we can offer our customers a product comparable to a factory tool at a fraction of the price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
diagnostic interface for old wagon R (MJ98)

Hallo "fordem",

on the 7th July you wrote to MIPS, his SDL is using 7812 or 15625 bps.

In the "Suzuki Aftermarket Application" for the Vetronix Tester I found on Page 80, that an IF for the SDL is working, using standard UART with 10.4k baud rate.

Can you tell me more about the baud rate, protocoll and the bit-coding for the old wagon R?

Thanks

Mic

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
The original Suzuki diagnostic interface used baud rates of 7812 and 15625 baud, these were used up to in North America and elsewhere up to around 2001. This interface used pin 9 on the J1962 (OBD2) connector.
After that there were two different Suzuki protocols that used the 10400 baud rate, both of these used pin 7 on the J1962 connector.
ECUs used by The OBD2 Suzukis sold in the US between 1996 and around 2003 had a Suzuki proprietary protocol that used the same ISO 9141-2 interface that they used for OBD2, this was known as SDLJ1979.
From around 2001 onwards in markets that weren't OBD2 or EOBD there was a Suzuki proprietary protocol similar to KWP2000 called SDLKWP.

As far as the WagonR is concerned I have had ECUS for the K10 and K12 engine from 1998/1999 and both of these used the original SDL protocol at 7812 baud. You need to be more specific about your vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hallo Rhinoman,
thank you for your info!
First of all I want to explain why I'm here. View weeks(months! :blush:) ago the old car ( Wagon R) of my friendgirl didn't run any more and I stood in front of the engine scratching my forehead ..:confused:
Last time I screwed on an petron-engin was in 1978 on my VW beetle, not any knowledge from fuel-injection and computing necessary ...
After a lot of hours measuring and testing the little Wagon R runs again (amongst others, fuel pump und injection valves changed) and now I was inspired and I want to work into the them of Diagnostics and car-electronics. Last but not least, screwing on modern motorbikes (for sport) isn't possible without any knowledge about the modern technology. And perhaps I learn a bit that I mustn't look like a fool, when my bikes show me the engine-control-lamp. Then I can help myselfe, ..hopefully.

Back to the Wagon R I want to look inside:
MR 1997-2000, produced in Japan, european operating licence e6*95/54*0045*00, Fuel engine 996ccm, 48kW/6500min-1, Type SR410, Engine-Code K10A, ECU: Hitachi 33920-75F50 (Hitachi F1-620 / F6 / 7Z11)

Do you know who to get a suitable assembly set for an ALDL-IF? .. if even an ALDL-IF is the right way ..:wacko:

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
My SDL interface has been tested with the 33920-75F50. These are currently out of stock because I am awaiting another delivery of connectors, I should have them for sale in about ten days:

SDL interface

You should have the 16-pin connector so the 12-pin adapter cable should not be required.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hallo Rhinoman,

don't be peeved that I don't embrace your offer to buy your Interface because I actually don't need it. I only try to learn and to familiarize with ecu-communication of our old Suzuki Wagon R. So I have bought an 1993 ECU of a Swift II with an engine G10A, 1000ccm, 3-Cyl. (Denso 33920-60E3 [2]) for testing of a self-made ADSL-Interface. Unfortunately I only have found an ECM-wiring diagram of a 1992 Metro.

The numbers of pins and the connectors are exact equal but the pin labeling of the printed circuit board are absolute incomprehensible for me.

Can you tell me, if the Denso ECU of Swift and Metro are the same one?

In advance, thank you for your answer.

Michael from Germany

(sorry about my assembled "leo.org-English" ;-)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Rhinoman,

Marry Christmas and very happy new year.

Need to seek some guidance to interface MPFI Engine (3 cylinder, F8B, 796CC).

I customized my SS80 and installed an MPFI Engine containing ECM P/N # 33920-84300. I understand this model of ECM is specific to cars manufactured in Netherlands.

12 PIN ALDL connector contains three wires. First is ground, second 12V and the third shows 5V.

I attempted using 1 and 2 transistor interface available at Rhinopower but nothing worked.

I am now in process of building RS232 based interface. Any guidance would be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
RS232 based circuits rarely work because the baud rate used by Suzuki is supported by most PCS or laptops. I don't publish schematics anymore, I found that the few people that built their own circuits accounted for 90% of my time.
I'm not clear on what you are doing, you are putting a later model Alto engine into an earlier model? what year is the new engine?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I notice on your website that you state your cable is out of stock and a new interface will be available soon, could you let me know when it will be ready for purchase?

Also your pm box is full so I can't send you a pm

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I have cleaned out my inbox now. I don't yet have a release date for the new interface, I've been very busy with repairs and OEM design - I want one of the new interfaces myself for my Jimny!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The original Suzuki diagnostic interface used baud rates of 7812 and 15625 baud, these were used up to in North America and elsewhere up to around 2001. This interface used pin 9 on the J1962 (OBD2) connector.
After that there were two different Suzuki protocols that used the 10400 baud rate, both of these used pin 7 on the J1962 connector.
ECUs used by The OBD2 Suzukis sold in the US between 1996 and around 2003 had a Suzuki proprietary protocol that used the same ISO 9141-2 interface that they used for OBD2, this was known as SDLJ1979.
From around 2001 onwards in markets that weren't OBD2 or EOBD there was a Suzuki proprietary protocol similar to KWP2000 called SDLKWP.
Hi,
I have Suzuki GV I 1999, J20A engine , interface used 16pin, This obd used pin number: 4,5,9,16. What type of protocol is it and How much baud rate use it?

Is this will work with my car?
http://www.suzukiclub.cz/graphics/msgboard/32385/full/1761_obd1suzuki.jpg

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
BuMPing for closure.

I finally uncovered a USB to serial adapter that uses an FD232BL FTDI chip. This is compatible with the official RhinoPower dongle. Once the drivers were loaded, the dongle was attached to the RS-232 adapter and it connected with almost no issues.

In the process this proves that the schematic that is floating around WILL work in this slightly weird combination. Just remember that you need to add a beefier 5v regulator.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Alpha releases of Rhinoview use a virtual com port, those releases also use an unofficial database built up from work I did on some ECUs, it is incomplete and there are some errors. Later releases of RV from v1.0 onwards use the official Suzuki database, these releases will only work with a genuine RhinoPower interface; devices that connect virtual com port connections are not supported.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts