Suzuki Forums banner

Air intake modifications, questions

10K views 11 replies 3 participants last post by  orangeute338 
#1 ·
I'd like to improve the air intake by replacing the black silicone piping between the air filter box and the engine, where there is a T section with a black bottle looking thing.
What does that black bottle thing do? :confused:
Can i replace that section by putting a straight high quality silicone piping whilst keeping the original air filter box section, could it have negative effects. :huh:
I am using a K&N box air filter.

#2 ·
That bottle plus the larger one off the air cleaner box dampen out resonances in the intake flow. Presumably it would be noisier or disruptive to the intake flow if you blank them off. But I doubt it would do any harm by removing either or both (I've always wanted to try that myself,) but keep in mind that Suzuki are not going to spend money on components that don't do anything.

If you replace the flex tube be sure the new one can flex just as well. It'll probably achieve as much as the K&N did :)

#3 ·
Cool thanks for the insight, I had flashed my ECU after the K&N and it made a pretty good difference, this engine loves to rev

My friend put blue silicone tubing on his VS Commodore and it massively increased the suction of the engine, I was kind of thinking of the possibilities of me doing something similar on the GV.

I'll just stick with the stock tubing until i know more

#10 ·
what do you mean when you said you flashed the ecu?

my mate has the previous model vitara with this same motor but 2.5ltr i was looking at it other day and i was wondering if it really does need that link pipe around the front. i wouldnt if there would be any benifit from capping the ends then it would allow you to run a large intake straight into the throttle body

one day i would like a 2.7 or 3.2 v6 vitara with an auto and stick a gt35 turbo on see if can make 400hp would be pretty wild even with the 2ltr turbo is surprises a lot of people

#4 ·
They are just for noise. Mine was in an accident and airbox was all smashed up so got rid of it and just had a pod filter. Not sure about v6 but 4cyl has afm which is same as wrx so I got a alloy mount online to suit and made alloy intake. Be careful some silicone can suck in on itself and decrease power

#6 · (Edited)
post a picture of the airbox

this was my setup before i put the turbo on, the airbox was damaged, and the afm housing was part of the lid so i cut the lid all away which left the afm housing which is a cylinder so just made a flange that the 2.5inch plastic afm housing slipped into and 3inch on the outside and glued it together.

now i just have the alloy piping and the alloy flange for the afm welded on, depending what you have you could do the same and have alloy intake

this is the type of flange i have on mine
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aluminum...ccessories&hash=item233280c9dd#ht_1084wt_1124

#8 ·
i would be careful using that much silicone it can suck in and restrict flow, thats why you see the ribbed intakes and ones with wire inside the silicone.

yeah you're air flow meter is part of the airbox like the 2ltr was. you would have to find out what other cars came with same sensor and if performance car then someone might make the alloy adaptors and you could make up a decent intake. if you had space i would run the piping over the inlet manifold and to the throttle body instead of under how its squashed piping.

#9 ·
I really like the idea you had about running the piping differently, i'll look if there is space. If not I might keep it as a later project, I can definitely see a gain in air intake there and even if the hood had to be modified for this to be done it would be a good upgrade.
For now stock will have to do, I'm saving up for an ARB bullbar.
Thanks for the help ^_^

#11 ·
>>what do you mean when you said you flashed the ecu?
When the car starts it takes settings from the last start,such as air/fuel ratio settings.
I drained the ECU by letting the current drain from the car. Then reconnected the battery and started the car, since it can't find the previous settings it re-calculates the fuel/air ratio and adjusts itself for optimal engine performance.
Did that due to the K&N filter, different intake ratio.
Beyond doing this I'd rather wait to get the full exhaust system and it should be sufficient power for now. The piping will have to wait.

I saw the work you did on your GV, very impressive indeed.
For now I just want a high end exhaust system on mine, bullbar and black rims.

Concerning the V6 models:
The Suzuki H engines are fascinating, such a light V6 is great for acceleration from my experience. I used to own the 2.0L V6 it was off the hook even just stock, no traction control rear wheel 2WD on the road and was good for doing skids. Beat any stock SUV off the mark, insane take off. That doesn't mean it was the fastest all up but off the mark it would leap forward very quickly.
The engine is like a swiss watch, very complex. Make sure you get one with good cylinders (RACQ inspection or others can do compression tests), then it should last you ages.
I love this engine and that's why i got this 2.7L, the final bored out version of the H20A. Being the main engine behind Tajima's first great achievements I think it only pays tribute to the Escudo legend. :clap:

The 3.2L V6 is actually a GM engine HFV6 Alloytech also used in modern cars (such as Holden). The way I see it you would be buying something else than a genuine Suzuki engineered product.

IT's sad that suzuki had to stop its line of Grand Vitara V6 engines and hope that one day they bring it back along with the Manual transmission option. :00000715:

#12 ·
ok i thought you meant a proper flash like in the holden and fords via the obd port where you can change the tune. I have a piggy back on my zook to adjust the fuel and timing under boost.

what you did all it does it clears the fuel trims which is only for closed loop so light throttle and cruise positions, WOT the ecu doesnt use the fuel trims or the 02 sensor so wont really affect anything.

so is the 3.2 the same block thats in the v6 commy? the one that came out first in the ve? the 3.6 or 3.5 whateva it was?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.