Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to start that this part of the forum is the closest fit to my question.
For Christmas, a friend of mine whent and got me an airhorn to replace my squeeky OEM POS horn. The question is, will the stock wiring for the horn work with an air compresser. Is rated as drawing 12v 40 Amp. 40 Amps sounds like alot for the small guaged horn wires. If I had to replace the wires, can I start from the relay in the fuse box? Vehical wiring is kinda new to me.

·
Registered
425 Posts
use the existing wiring to control the relay only!!!(one should be supplied with your air horn kit).and run a new line to the relay(make sure you fuse it) and the other side to your horn,and ground horn accordingly.

·
Registered
259 Posts
he's right about the relay -- and the fuse. Your stock fuse won't handle the horn. The relay is like a switch -- on/off. That, your stock fuse can handle. You'll need a separate fuse, rated over 40, for the horn assembly itself.

I've wanted to replace the horn, myself... but I think I'd just do one that can bolt up and not have a separate compressor. Simple is good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I run with a fire dept in the area here on a volunteer basis, I have no visible lighting or siren speakers, instead I have my red strobes hidden above the windshield inside same as the back window. Anywho, I have a train horn (3 h orn system) wired in my forenza. I actually disconnected the factory horn and used the wires for the relay only as stated above. In-line fuse from the relay to the air compressor with 6g wire (just to be safe) and it works flawlessly.

I'd concure with the above statement of using the wires for the relay only. they should handle the power.

Err on the side of caution though is my general rule of thumb.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Gothalyptic said:
I run with a fire dept in the area here on a volunteer basis, I have no visible lighting or siren speakers, instead I have my red strobes hidden above the windshield inside same as the back window. Anywho, I have a train horn (3 h orn system) wired in my forenza. I actually disconnected the factory horn and used the wires for the relay only as stated above. In-line fuse from the relay to the air compressor with 6g wire (just to be safe) and it works flawlessly.

I'd concure with the above statement of using the wires for the relay only. they should handle the power.

Err on the side of caution though is my general rule of thumb.
thanks, I was planning on that. Where did you mount the copressor. Pics might be nice... help me get some ideas

·
Registered
265 Posts
ok or u could be like me and by the 25 dollar horns at pep boys w/ the mini compressor that hooks up directly to where the old horn went

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, but now I have 135 dB of simi truck power. Not the old horn.
"Scuse me, you kinda cut me off... sir?"
Now its like:
"NO! I"M A MAC TRUCK! MOVE YOUR SORRY LITTLE HONDA BEFORE I RUN YOU OVER LIKE ROADKILL!"
See? Its loud!
Anyways, the compressor draws alittle to much juise for the old wire .I guess I could use another relayoff the horn wire, but thats cheesy.

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
zerocool said:
ok or u could be like me and by the 25 dollar horns at pep boys w/ the mini compressor that hooks up directly to where the old horn went
How loud is it? I want something better than stock, which I took off and threw away awhile ago. Since I started driving better (had to update my insurance and realized I cant afford anymore tickets) I've been getting cut off allot and I need a damn horn.

Danny

·
Registered
265 Posts
its pretty loud if u get the 2 tone one(like me)... and it was like a 10 min install... its really fun to scare the crap out off kids who wont get out of the street when ur comin threw the neighborhood(i dislike them)

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
zerocool said:
its pretty loud if u get the 2 tone one(like me)... and it was like a 10 min install... its really fun to scare the crap out off kids who wont get out of the street when ur comin threw the neighborhood(i dislike them)
Uh you do know that pedestrains have the right away right?

·
Registered
265 Posts
jurupa said:
Uh you do know that pedestrains have the right away right?

they shouldnt when they are sitting in a circle in the street trying to piss ppl off at 12 am

·
Registered
265 Posts
jurupa said:
Ah I see. They are worth 20 points each then.

naws i say 5 points cause they r fat non-moving targets

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
lol, damnit you guys.

zerocool said:
Two tone? as in there are two different levels of the horn or what?

How much was it, was it a straight forward install, whats the extact name, and where'd you get it from again?

Danny

·
Registered
265 Posts
i forget the name off them and i trew out the box... i got them from pep boys... they were in clear packaging and the horns themself r red and 2 diff sizes. they come w/ clear tubing, the mini compressor(connects straight to stock wires) and some mounting bolts... it was like $20(before tax)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts