Suzuki Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My air bag light is on and off but mostly on . So far I have read several postings on clock springs and dust impairment of sensitive areas of the air bag attachment.
So a couple questions that don't seem to be answered anywhere that I have read.
1. Can I fix my 98 Sport clock spring issue relatively cheaply if I take it to my mechanic?
2.If my air bag did function as it is supposed to and inflated , can you still drive the vehicle, or is this a case of if it went off in the first place there is significant damage to the vehicle ?
3.If I take the air bag fuse out does that mean the whole air bag system does not work? Yes I do realize that air bags are good to have .

Nice 4x4

·
Registered
10,079 Posts
fuse out, no air bags at all, and a warning light usually.

Clock spring is a good possible cause, they do fail unfortunately, relatively simple fix. Can be expensive for parts, but use new rather than second hand parts. Safety is paramount here. Get it diagnosed properly.

Depending on age of vehicle, if an air bag has gone off, theres usually structural damage, they do need a significant impact to go off, basically impact speed of 20 mph or greater will set them off. Most modern cars have an engine disable built into the SRS module so once any bag goes off, you can't start the car until the SRS module is replaced.

In your case, it may or may not have this feature as part of the system.

·
Super Moderator
25,566 Posts
Safety is paramount, meaning that if you don’t know what you’re doing, are working on that system and the airbag inflates, it can seriously injure you, or worse. You must disengage the circuit before doing anything.

·
Registered
10,079 Posts
check this out, about 45 seconds in....

Reactions: Bex

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well that is the last time I carry a cone in my 4x4.
I guess you need that much force to inflate it in point something of a second ..

·
Registered
10,079 Posts
Well that is the last time I carry a cone in my 4x4.
I guess you need that much force to inflate it in point something of a second ..
yeah, and this is why you have to be so careful working around them, if they go off they can break you arm or kill you. I had a trainee replacing a recall one off a Honda, he did it all correctly re the disabling and so forth but was carrying it facing him. He saw the vid, went white and treats them with a bit more respect now. We have to inert them which means letting them off in a cabinet to contain the shrapnel but it just makes a noise with nothing visible. I'm going to set a "safer" one off one day in the yard to demonstrate to the trainees.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well latest conundrum of my Sport is the leaking heater core and that means pulling the dashboard off to get to the offending part. As the air bag will be de-energised with the battery being disconnected , is it possible to remove said steering air bag and still have the plastic of the steering wheel intact or is it part of? I will be looking into getting another clockspring and installing it , but if I can leave the airbag out of the equation it would be convenient till after the clockspring is installed.

·
Registered
10,079 Posts
You can leave it out, but its part f the plastic centre piece. Obviously you will have an aitprbag code if its removed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts