Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have been wanting to buy these for some time now because the halogen ones are terrible..

I was told by a jeep buddy that they won't work because samurai's power source is different. Any input?

Thanks!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/161819996319
I'm a little puzzled since both are 12v systems. There may be a mounting issue is about all I can think of.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a little puzzled since both are 12v systems. There may be a mounting issue is about all I can think of.

The guy told me this "Because most cars have power sent thru the headlight switch while the samurai has power at the headlights full time and the switch when selected provides the ground. So basically a samurai is configured backwards than a jeep. The listing says they will fit but they won't work. The company was nice enough to sell me another harness but it didn't work. By that time it was too late to return them. So in short don't buy them for a Sammy"

·
Registered
21 Posts
The guy told me this "Because most cars have power sent thru the headlight switch while the samurai has power at the headlights full time and the switch when selected provides the ground. So basically a samurai is configured backwards than a jeep. The listing says they will fit but they won't work. The company was nice enough to sell me another harness but it didn't work. By that time it was too late to return them. So in short don't buy them for a Sammy"
Well dang it.
I had to rewire my whole sj since it had a as we put it "tweaker wired" wiring. Colored wires went so far then black tape and a new colored wire then 8"- 2' later it changed again.
What did the lights cost you?

·
Super Moderator
12,189 Posts
Samurais (and most Suzukis) are wired negative switched, which is the reverse of many of the US domestic vehicles, but it's a fairly simple matter to "reverse" that with a couple of relays, and I believe you can get a plug-in harness to do that from a number of vendors - LowRangeOffRoad for example.

Having said that, there are a couple of points I want to touch on - first - assuming that your Samurai has the original style "sealed beam" headlights and wiring, those are not halogens, they are incandescent sealed beams and they are being fed by thirty year old wiring, which by now will have quite some resistance - the plug in harness reduces the voltage drop and ensures full power to the lights.

Second - there are very few LED lights available in the US that meet SAE/DOT legal requirements - Genssi (the brand in that auction) would like you to think they are, but they are not - they mention CE and RoHS - google them and find out what they are about - without those certfications, your vehicle with those lamps will no longer be street legal.

Low Range Off Road also offers replacement headlamps, which, as far as I know, are street legal, and can be fitted with H4 halogen bulbs of your choice.

No - I have no affiliation with Low Range Off Road - I'm just a satisfied customer, and one that is super irritated by vehicles coming towards me with poorly designed and installed HID & LED lighting.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Samurais (and most Suzukis) are wired negative switched, which is the reverse of many of the US domestic vehicles, but it's a fairly simple matter to "reverse" that with a couple of relays, and I believe you can get a plug-in harness to do that from a number of vendors - LowRangeOffRoad for example.

Having said that, there are a couple of points I want to touch on - first - assuming that your Samurai has the original style "sealed beam" headlights and wiring, those are not halogens, they are incandescent sealed beams and they are being fed by thirty year old wiring, which by now will have quite some resistance - the plug in harness reduces the voltage drop and ensures full power to the lights.

Second - there are very few LED lights available in the US that meet SAE/DOT legal requirements - Genssi (the brand in that auction) would like you to think they are, but they are not - they mention CE and RoHS - google them and find out what they are about - without those certfications, your vehicle with those lamps will no longer be street legal.

Low Range Off Road also offers replacement headlamps, which, as far as I know, are street legal, and can be fitted with H4 halogen bulbs of your choice.

No - I have no affiliation with Low Range Off Road - I'm just a satisfied customer, and one that is super irritated by vehicles coming towards me with poorly designed and installed HID & LED lighting.

Thank you for all the info!
I was thinking.. I understand the resistance thing, but with LED's they don't draw nearly as much as regular bulbs or HID's. Would that still be an issue?

I used to have the sealed headlights but I got a housing off eBay that allowed me to install a bulb and they are better but still "meh"

Also, I found these and the company states they are DOT.

My samurai is a trailered trail rig anyhow, but for anyone with DD rig, what would be the best way to add a better headlight?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MCZBBDB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_cW2TybXES8KYK

·
Registered
53 Posts
I used to have the sealed headlights but I got a housing off eBay that allowed me to install a bulb and they are better but still "meh"

Also, I found these and the company states they are DOT.

My samurai is a trailered trail rig anyhow, but for anyone with DD rig, what would be the best way to add a better headlight?

Try replacing the wiring with heavier duty wiring. Use relays as you would setting up spotlights etc. This draws power to headlights direct from battery, instead of through light switch on stalk. This is where some power loss occurs and the normal thin wiring causes more voltage drop. I have upgraded the wiring on several vehicles headlights and made a huge difference in brightness.

·
Super Moderator
12,189 Posts
Yes, you can wire relays to the existing headlights - a relay is nothing more than an electrically controlled switch.

Regarding the LEDs - yes and no - a fifty watt LED lamp draws just as much power as a fifty watt HID or halogen lamp - they do however produce way more "light - per - watt" - so it all depends on what lamp you choose - one advantage of LEDs is that they can operate on a wide range of voltages (typically 9~30V) so they are less affected by the voltage drop that occurs with high current draw.

·
Super Moderator
12,189 Posts
The stock sealed beams are 55W low beam, 65W high beam, those LEDs are listed at 105W - doesn't sound the same to me - OEM Samurai alternators have a fairly low output, 35A or something in that region - barely enough for the original equipment it comes with.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The stock sealed beams are 55W low beam, 65W high beam, those LEDs are listed at 105W - doesn't sound the same to me - OEM Samurai alternators have a fairly low output, 35A or something in that region - barely enough for the original equipment it comes with.

105w total. So between two headlights, it will be 52.5w each?

Maybe I'll be the first to try them out and either fail or succeed and help everyone out! Haha

·
Registered
264 Posts
Stock alternator is 55 amps (about 660 watts). I would bet the lights you are looking at are rated 105w each. So, that's going to be 1/3 the output of your alternator. Add to that the heater blower, wiper motor, AC (if you have it) and all the other electrical loads and you might end up short on power. I haven't looked into whether or not LEDs have any kind of inrush load, so, they might actually pull more than 105w on startup.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Can I wire in relays for the regular headlights?
Yep, sure can. I use four relays, two for low beam, 2 for high beam.

Run a voltage tester over wires for headlights. Probably only getting 11 volts to Bulbs.(H4). Rewire with heavier gauge wire (5MM) and that will jump to 12.5 volts or more.:D:D:D

1 - 20 of 64 Posts