Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here installed an aftermarket carpet kit?

If so, which brand was the kit and what was your experience regarding fit and quality?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The reason I ask is because I bought one from a well known Samurai aftermarket supplier of all things cool. This supplier has provided me with many quality parts and valuable guidance.

BUT, this carpet kit that was supposed to be "as simple as pulling the seats and laying it in" has not turned out to be nearly so simple.

With the carpet kit came with a slip of manufacturers information, I contacted them about the fit issues. They claimed it would be very unusual as they have been using the same pattern for decades and have not had any trouble yet. The piece I got was clearly a poor fit, especially over the trans tunnel, the corners were very loose, it was not bilaterally symmetrical which leaves me certain that there is a fit issue.

I do not want to mention the manufacturer until the customer service issue is resolved, I do believe they are sending out a replacement front piece.

I will certainly follow up when this is all done. This kit was around $160 shipped, I have seen some others in the $300 range, only time will tell if I should have gone that way. The most of it that is in, honestly, not very happy with it. Have had to do a lot of massaging and a bit of trimming.

I was hoping to see what experience others had with the carpet kits and which ones. I would love to know if my experience is an isolated freak thing or a fairly common problem with some/all aftermarket carpet kits.

Tony

·
Registered
278 Posts
Usually a heat gun, on low setting, or a blow dryer is required to get the carpet warm enough to conform to the floor of any car....
As to the cost difference. In some cases, you do get what you pay for....Boxcar...

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The manufacturer said it should slide right in, when I asked if heat should be used he said no, it should pretty much just go in. I figure I must be only a couple 90 deg days from having it settle in properly. I figure heat will work to get the other pieces fitting like they should, they are close.

The fit of the front piece was pretty bad, to far from proper to expect it to settle in with heat. The manufacturer initially offered to send a replacement but Its starting to turn into a hassle since I decided to take him up on it.

I sure hope they decide something quickly, this is holding up my build.

Tony

·
Registered
3 Posts
Im just getting ready to buy a carpet kit so iv gotta know who your having problems with! I put a kit in my dads 86 soft top 4 years ago wich we got from JCwhitneys and it went in flawless. Low range is just down the road from me and they have one for 150 i think i might get theyve always been great to deal with

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I should preface this by saying that Low Range has been awesome, lots of good stuff there and I highly recommend them.

I did not contact Low Range about this because there was a slip in the kit with all the info for seats mfg, I called them first to try and figure out what the issue could be.

Installation was not a snap, it was actually a pain in the a$$ and required a bit of trimming, but the rear and center mats went ok, rear fenders required trimming and don't fit perfect but acceptable by loose standards.

The real issue I had is with the front piece is it was very loose around the transmission tunnel, especially around the corners just to the rear of the shifter. We tried everything to make it fit and it turned into a disaster once we tried to alter it. I didn't expect a perfect OEM fit but it was just to poor to live with. It was even a bit looser on the drivers side so it was not bilaterally symmetrical.

I compared my floors to another samurai and countless images, there is no damage or alterations that should make it fit poorly.

I contacted the manufacturer (Seats mfg) and after a couple phone calls, several emails and a bit of patience on my part they finally agreed to send out another replacement front piece free of charge.

I have not yet received that front piece but when I do I will follow up here. They said its the same pattern they have used for 20 years and never had a problem.

I would rate customer service of Low Range Offroad at 5/5
Seats mfg cust svc 3/5, IF the replacement piece arrives fast.
Seats mfg product 2/5, IF the replacement piece fits acceptably.

Since you are right down the street it might make sense to pick one up, if you have the same experience I did you are close enough to enjoy the excellent cust svc Low Range offers. I would love to hear how it goes.

If my replacement piece does not fit will I will contact Low Range and see if they have a different manufacturer or just go to JC Whitney but it is highly unlikely I will buy another product from Seats mfg (unless this replacement piece is flawless and fits as initially promised).

I guess its possible that I got a bad kit, maybe a fluke, it could happen. If my replacement does not fit well I will end up removing all the carpet and and cutting my losses, probably order one form JC Whitney.

Please follow up with your experience as I will with mine.

Tony

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The new front piece arrived and fits much better, not 100% but considerable improvement.

My carpet kit looks nowhere as good as the Ebay link you posted, that kit (if it goes in as nice as the pic would indicate) would be my next choice. It looks like it actually fits!!

Disappointed, but sick of messing with it. The amount of time and aggravation I wasted on this kit is something I will try not to think about any more.

Tony

1 - 10 of 10 Posts