Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 1.3L sierra (samuri) and it has a dodgy carbourator I was wondering what would be the best aftermarket carbourator and manifold to put on or just buy the rebuild kit for the stock one?

·
Registered
76 Posts
The 32/36 webber is a popular carb but can have some problems with extreme angles offroad. As for the intake after you get the stock carb off you will see that there are two small holes just under where the carb was. You can take a grinder to the part in between the two holes and make one large one.

Another option is a My Side kit this will allow you to put a CV carb off a Harley Davidson on your zuki. CV carbs work very well and are highly adjustable and won't have problems running at extreme angles like most automotive carbs will. Here is a link to a site selling the My Side kit.

Roadless Gear. My-Side 1 and My-Side 2 Harley Davidson Side Draft Carb Kits

·
Registered
278 Posts
The reason I didn't mention the My Side is simple. It will not pass smog.
And it costs twice as much. But it is a good working system.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
The reason I didn't mention the My Side is simple. It will not pass smog.
Is that because the emissions are poor or because its an obvious modification?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I always forget that some people need there rigs to pass emissions, our vehicles here in Oklahoma don't get tested:p
The webber probably won't pass an emission test ether.

I will say both. It will depend on local laws.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I will say both. It will depend on local laws.
+1 although there is a difference between passing a visual inspection and passing the tailpipe test. I doubt the Harley CV carb significantly increases tailpipe emissions, if at all, when tuned properly. However, it is not original equipment on Suzukis and would fail a visual inspection in most places that have one.

If someone wanted to shell out the money to get the conversion CARB-certified, then it would be issued a CARB exemption order number making it legal in CA.

The webber probably won't pass an emission test ether.
There again, it could be tuned to pass just fine, but it would fail the visual.

I don't think CA is ever going to have a rolling 25- or 30-year smog exemption again. At the very least I would like to see elimination of the visual inspection for cars that old because OEM emissions parts are getting increasingly harder to find. I doubt that will happen either; Sacramento would rather you crush your Samurai and buy a new Prius.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'm SO glad I no longer live in Seattle or SoCal, here in South Dakota they don't even bother with that stuff. When I read stuff like this I recall the struggles. My Baja bug had the normal daily driving 1835cc dual dell engine and the bone stock 1600DP for emissions testing. Just swap in the emissions engine then back to the performance mill after passing the test.

Obviously not practical for a Suzy but what about swapping out the manifold/carb before testing. Hassle I know but wow, what other choices do you have?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts