Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I'm leaning to buy a 2004 Aerio Sx from a local Suzuki dealer for my daughter.
One of my main highlights about this car is the AWD at a reasonable price.
How are these cars in bad weather(snow, ice , etc.)?? The model we're looking at is loaded with what I believe is all available options including ABS. So far I think we may buy it but need some reassuring from owners as far as problems, etc. with this car.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks In advance, Ken

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've heard that the Aerio AWD is really good in rough wetter, but during dry season it isn't as fast as the Aerio FWD. Both of them are great in rain and snow. But if your like me and live in a place that snows just a couple of inches (Dallas) I'd recommend getting the FWD. But if you live up North like Chicago, then get the AWD especially since Winter is right around the corner. Hope this helps! :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
The Aerio is GREAT in the snow, but to be VERY safe, I recommend dedicated Winter rubber with the AWD. You're in an excellent position too seeing as you're about to purchase. Advise the dealership you want a set of stealies and your choice in Winter rubber included in the purchase price. That way you don't have to put the money out right away. You pay off the wheels and Winter rubber within your financing.

I recommend Nokian Hakkapeliittas for Winter rubber but Blizzaks or Alpins are more common and quite possibly cheaper. I'll try to remember to log on and post some snow shots for you tonight.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by 5150@Oct 28 2004, 10:51 AM
The Aerio is GREAT in the snow, but to be VERY safe, I recommend dedicated Winter rubber with the AWD. You're in an excellent position too seeing as you're about to purchase. Advise the dealership you want a set of stealies and your choice in Winter rubber included in the purchase price. That way you don't have to put the money out right away. You pay off the wheels and Winter rubber within your financing.

I recommend Nokian Hakkapeliittas for Winter rubber but Blizzaks or Alpins are more common and quite possibly cheaper. I'll try to remember to log on and post some snow shots for you tonight.
I love the Canadian opinions when it comes to snow. Who else can be better judges than you!!! Ha! Ha!
I already have been looking into 4-snows(possibly Blizzaks). We didn't buy the car yet but I'm pretty sure my daughter is going to buy it and I feel a lot better about her driving it with 4 snows on it. Thanks for your expert opinions about the car though. I live in Pennsylvania and we do get some bigs snows here also, not every day but it seems like once a week it snows. Thanks again,
Ken

·
Registered
56 Posts
Any snow tire is better then the best all season. The reason I like the Nokians is thier sips stay soft and pliable even on the coldest of days. Last February my Autocross group had an event on a frozen pond just outside of town. I have two friends both running Subarus, one on Arctic Alpins and the other on Blizzaks. At -35C the Alpins and Blizzaks sips could be wiggled with significant of force, whereas the Nokians could be wiggled with a finger tip. Its that pliability that makes them a superior Winter tire in my mind.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sorry for the delays. Here are the images I promised ...

First off, a trip to Birds Hill Provincial Park on a day that most people didn't want to leave the house. The main roads into the park were plowed but very icy. The roads into the parkinglots for the hiking trails though ... were not. I was making new ground plowing the way into the parkinglot. I was the probably the first and only car in there that day.

Here are images of the parking lot hidden behind Vi Ann Restaurant on Osborne, most people don't know its there unless you've worked there at one point or another. Because the only people that really use it are staff the owner doesn't bother clearing it. I decided I'd do it for him. Actuallly this was the second time I did it. You can see the berm from the week before is even higher then this one. The weeks before I pushed it right up to the hood.

Checkout the outline of the left fog lamp :D. I know what you're thinking ... it was probably light fluffy snow. If that were the case could a 230 pound guy sit on the top of the berm?

... or for that matter could he stand on it? This is a picture of my shoe prints a good three inchs above the concrete. How packed this snow was surprised even me.

Just a word of warning though ... AWD don't work so good in reverse. Took me a few attempts to get out. But alas I did.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just a Q. about tires. What size tires for snow tires? My son is looking at the AWD LX, and we do get snow. Would 14" work well as snow treads?

Thanks,

Steve Cox

·
Registered
56 Posts
Factory tire sizes depending on which wheels you got from the factory are ...

Steelies - 185/65 r 14.
Alloy - 195/55 r 15.

Both have the same rolling diameter and either will work fine in the snow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts