Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everybody little problem here ,my car is not shifting the last gear 5th over drive (lower rpm)
MAF ...checked working and cleaned
IAC....checked working and cleaned
TPS....checked working ,cleaned and calibrated (manual specs)
BODY THROTTLE ..cleaned

what else can i check that is working with the automatic trany???
a few days ago i replaced the radiator so i los some hydraulic fluid ,i thought maybe is that , !!! i already add some , but still no 5th gear
( by the way how to check the level??? engine hot and running??)

any clue will be greatly appreciated
best regards
linterna

·
Super Moderator
12,172 Posts
As far as I'm aware the Aerio was offered with either a five speed manual transmission or a four speed automatic.

The fluid level should be checked with the transmission warm and the engine running, after manually cycling the transmission selector through all gear positions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Fordem for your replay....i know that the technical manual says 4 gears automatic, but i remenber feeling one last gear (5th) at high speed and seeing a drop in the RPM
and i can tell by the fuel consumption
but i will check the level on the fluid...
it is a funny dipstick , is not like the oil ( a piece of flat metal), this one is an iron cable with the mark "hot" so i found it kind of dificult to see, is like the fluid is all over!!!

on more thing remember that i said that i replaced the radiator... so how much fluid could be gone for that ??

thanks best regards
linterna

·
Registered
8,421 Posts
What you feel is the torque converter lock up.. not a 5th gear..

The reason for the flex wire fluid level device is to allow for travel across filler tube bends that traditional dip sticks would not.

...Philip

·
Super Moderator
12,172 Posts
on more thing remember that i said that i replaced the radiator... so how much fluid could be gone for that ??
That's more a question of how much fluid did you (or your mechanic) allow to escape when replacing the radiator - if the person knows what they are doing the amount lost will be insignificant.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What you feel is the torque converter lock up.. not a 5th gear..

The reason for the flex wire fluid level device is to allow for travel across filler tube bends that traditional dip sticks would not.

...Philip
well if there is no 5th gear should be that!! thanks
now you open another question!! if it is the torque converter and is not engaging...!!! why is that?? where should i look for it?
by the way there is no engine light on for now ...the only thing is the evap canister error comes and goes...

thanks best regards
linterna

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's more a question of how much fluid did you (or your mechanic) allow to escape when replacing the radiator - if the person knows what they are doing the amount lost will be insignificant.
well i replaced the radiator myself and let me tell you i just lost a few drops from disconecting the hoses (almost nothing)
but i ment inside the radiator ..how much fluid the radiator can hold?

thanks for your time
best regards
linterna

·
Registered
8,421 Posts
well i replaced the radiator myself and let me tell you i just lost a few drops from disconecting the hoses (almost nothing)
but i ment inside the radiator ..how much fluid the radiator can hold?

thanks for your time
best regards
linterna
about a cup....

check for any pending codes (intermittent MIL), Lock up will not engage if any DTC's..

.... Philip

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
about a cup....

check for any pending codes (intermittent MIL), Lock up will not engage if any DTC's..

.... Philip
thanks philip.. good info
is there a specific solenoid to activate the torque converter locking mechanism??
i'm about re replace the transmission fluid and see the results , but just in case i'd like to know where else to look??!
thanks again
regards
linterna

1 - 9 of 9 Posts