Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
advise from our knowledgeable master here for our carry.just ask your off topic questions here.
let me start.

::my carry is seldom used for 1 week, i will only use it twice or sometimes hindi talaga for straight five days,coz dito sa cebu grabe ang trapik in the morning and evening, lalo na sa route ko going to work. maaksaya sa gas at nakakapagod sa pag drive, but i will see to it na every morning i turn up the engine for five minutes.now, hindi ba masisira yung engine or what?

advise guys...thanks in advance.:)

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm not a "master" bai, but i'll share my ideas. . .

Before, I also used my ride once or twice a week (nagtitipid din sa
gasolina) 'coz we have our company service bus also, "hatid-sundo"
from house to office. I make it a point to turn ON the engine every
morning for at least 5min just to take out the moisture from the oil
& to lubricate the pistons & other parts as well so they won't rust
easily. But now I'm using it 4 to 5 times a week, so ok lang if I won't
turn it ON for 5min in the morning.

I've read from one forum that if you won't use it for a long time, say
more than one month, you should disconnect the battery 'coz it will
drain consequently, "lalo na sa set-up nating mga Carry/Every" that
our horn, headlights, hazard, brake lights can function w/o the key.
In my opinion, they can affect the discharging of the battery even
when the engine is OFF. Maybe because of the "voltage drop"
thing (i'm not sure).

They say that busted oil seals & oil leaks are some common problems
encountered by owners who don't use their vehicles for a long time.

Well, I don't know if they're true. Haven't experienced it yet, hehe. . .

Any more advise???

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@bruce:thanks for the input bai,highly appreciated. btw,i don't use my ride regularly coz hindi na oil change,last change ko was march last year.can that also cause damage to the engine? i also found an oil dropping on my zuki after i ON the engine one morning but lately wala na.could that be busted seals? how can it be busted when i don't regularly use my zuki?

·
Registered
177 Posts
gnm593 said:
@bruce:thanks for the input bai,highly appreciated. btw,i don't use my ride regularly coz hindi na oil change,last change ko was march last year.can that also cause damage to the engine? i also found an oil dropping on my zuki after i ON the engine one morning but lately wala na.could that be busted seals? how can it be busted when i don't regularly use my zuki?
Same here, leaking oil but I replaced the oil seal, don't know if it's
already there when I bought it or it's the result of not using it for
some time. Anyway, I can't explain how the seals can be busted,
I'll try to look for that article (previously saved in Word file) & will
try to post it here tomorrow.

See yah.

·
Registered
85 Posts
i agree with BRUCE LI. whenever you're going out for more than a week, make sure you remove the battery, or probably just the negative terminal...

·
Registered
200 Posts
i agree. disconnect the battery from the terminal if and only if you will not use it for a month or more. pero if you start it up even once a week the alternator will charge the battery so no problem. but if you'll not use your carry for more than a month then try disconnecting the battery.

we use more frequently the apv than our carry so we do not disconnect the battery, even if we use our carry for only once a week. my 2 cents.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi guys!

In my experience with my 1976 L-type Lancer when I rarely used it for a month and just warm it up for 5 minutes that it makes the rubber, oil seal and the brake pads fragile.

I brought out my car for a short drive after a month of not using it and I was travellng down on an incline road. Lightly depressing my brakes when all of a sudden a loud metallic noise was heard and at the same time I've felt a strong jerking motion making my car stop in the middle of the road. My rear brakes had locked and I was not able to drive it. I was lucky that there were no vehicles behind me and I was near a friend's autoshop that I could wake-up early in the morning.

He told me that it was unwise to stock your car and just warm it up every morning. It should have been warm-up and driven in a short distance to avoid mechanical break down due to prolonged unused. (Instead of being able to save I have to spend for the unnecessary repairs that is avoidable):(

If your not going to use your car for quite sometime beside warming-up the engine, you should drive it around the neighborhood. It will warm-up not only the engine but the rest of your cars mechanical parts like the brake system, the oil in the differential and of course charging your battery as well.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks yt for the input. when my zuki is standby, i won't use the hand brake, that's the suggetion of my mechanic. i just use stone's instead.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yellowturtle said:
Hi guys!

In my experience with my 1976 L-type Lancer when I rarely used it for a month and just warm it up for 5 minutes that it makes the rubber, oil seal and the brake pads fragile.

I brought out my car for a short drive after a month of not using it and I was travellng down on an incline road. Lightly depressing my brakes when all of a sudden a loud metallic noise was heard and at the same time I've felt a strong jerking motion making my car stop in the middle of the road. My rear brakes had locked and I was not able to drive it. I was lucky that there were no vehicles behind me and I was near a friend's autoshop that I could wake-up early in the morning.

He told me that it was unwise to stock your car and just warm it up every morning. It should have been warm-up and driven in a short distance to avoid mechanical break down due to prolonged unused. (Instead of being able to save I have to spend for the unnecessary repairs that is avoidable):(

If your not going to use your car for quite sometime beside warming-up the engine, you should drive it around the neighborhood. It will warm-up not only the engine but the rest of your cars mechanical parts like the brake system, the oil in the differential and of course charging your battery as well.

Hope this helps.
I agree with YT, we need to drive it once in a while to loosen up all
the moving parts incl. the wheel bearings, etc.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BRUCE LI said:
Any explanation why the hand brakes shouldn't be engaged???

Anyone???
i would like to explain it to you pero hirap ako to put into words e.

my mechanic said that if u engage your hand brake for a week w/o driving it, the brake drum or disk would be rusted. just a try if u can understand.

·
Registered
114 Posts
hi zookies!

whenever we turn on our car, the whole car is electrified that's why we can connect any accesory on the chassis or body to get a ground. when we turn off the car the electrification stops. this electrification prevents the conversion of iron into rust through oxidation. oxidation occurs when moisture accumulates or settles on any metal part with iron in it (brake pads are fitted on iron plates!). so when we dont use our rides, the moisture in the air condenses on the iron and forms rust which makes things stick together.

furthermore, the oils we use actually have degrading properties specially when it's cold. when we use our rides for a short time only (5 minutes every morning) we are actually speeding up the break down process. the engine needs to run at the right temperature to heat up the oils so it can do its job properly which is to lubricate stuff (at correct engine temperatures).

it's better to use your ride once a week and drive it for 30mins at the correct engine temp rather than start it every morning for 5mins.

hope this info helps. actually, it is good for you to floor the gas once in a while as this raises the temp of your engine which burns the deposits left behind by incomplete combustion (which is always inevitable, there's always a little something left there!). it actually "cleans" your engine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
isporttrak said:
hi zookies!

whenever we turn on our car, the whole car is electrified that's why we can connect any accesory on the chassis or body to get a ground. when we turn off the car the electrification stops. this electrification prevents the conversion of iron into rust through oxidation. oxidation occurs when moisture accumulates or settles on any metal part with iron in it (brake pads are fitted on iron plates!). so when we dont use our rides, the moisture in the air condenses on the iron and forms rust which makes things stick together.

furthermore, the oils we use actually have degrading properties specially when it's cold. when we use our rides for a short time only (5 minutes every morning) we are actually speeding up the break down process. the engine needs to run at the right temperature to heat up the oils so it can do its job properly which is to lubricate stuff (at correct engine temperatures).

it's better to use your ride once a week and drive it for 30mins at the correct engine temp rather than start it every morning for 5mins.

hope this info helps. actually, it is good for you to floor the gas once in a while as this raises the temp of your engine which burns the deposits left behind by incomplete combustion (which is always inevitable, there's always a little something left there!). it actually "cleans" your engine.
Okey Dokey guys! Running your car will not prevent rusting as isporttrax suggests. Handbrakes can stick on if left for a long time. This can be caused by a few things ie the hand brake lever on the actual break shoes can rust and sieze in the on position. I have had to free the brakes on a VW today a work, it is a comon thing.

Yes diving your car for 30mins is better than running it for 5 mins. If you have to leave your car unused for month or so, put it in gear and leave the hand brake off. Get a trickle type battery charger and hook it up to that, you can get solar powered ones that plug into the cigarette lighter socket.

I wouldn't advise reving the balls off your little engines . Try using a fuel additive/injection cleaner. You do get some carbon build up in heads etc but dont worry about that! over reving could cause valve bounce leading to piston damage:(

Hope this helps:)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Cathodic protection

Ooops, two different ideas . . . Anyway, it's good because we learn
many things from people with different background, experience, etc.

Just a small comment on isportrack's idea:

I work on a shipbuilding company here in Cebu & we use that technology (Impressed current & cathodic protection) to prevent corrosion & sticking of marine growth (i.e. barnacles) on the hull of
a ship. But inorder to effectively perform this, there should be a zinc
(anode) attached to the body (attached photo)
View attachment 4323

at the same time, there must be an impressed current supplied to
these zinc anodes inorder to prevent corrosion. Corrosion will take
place on the zinc metal only, thus preventing damage to the ships
hull / body, in our case - the chassis.

I do believe that our chassis is negatively charged or grounded, but I
don't think it's enough to prevent rusting. There must be current
running all over the chassis to do this.

For additional inputs on car rust-proofing, pls refer to links below:

Electric Rust-Proofing? [Archive] - Rage3D Discussion Area

Rustproofing Limitations. RustStop - Electronic rust protection and Spray-on rustproofing

Hope this helps.

Have a good day!!!

·
Registered
114 Posts
yup, learning is good. sorry for the mixed up info.

i was referring to electrolytic corrosion which may occur when steel comes in contact with a light alloy like what happens to our alloy mags. yo prevent this, the holes through which retaining or locating studs pas should be greased; and if balance weights are used, avoid those which are held in place by steel clips or screws.

thanks for clearing it out mono and bruce!

btw blue, i noticed in your photo that you're beside the water there. aluminum and magnesium alloy wheels react badly to salt spray and must be checked regularly for signs of corrosion.

·
Registered
200 Posts
good idea tibs! thumbs up! what if we could do that to our zukis? :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i got a new question guys. how will i know the battery life of my zuki? whether if it's low na. kase hindi branded yung battery ko eh.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts