Suzuki Forums banner

Advice re NT630plus scanner.

3K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  Sic Semper Tyrannis 
#1 ·
I think I have bricked my new scanner.
I bought one recently (took quicker to arrive from overseas than between local cities here in NZ) and decided to update the firmware (bad move as I did this at the same time as setting up some new techy gadgets provided by Santa so maybe didn't have my entire mind on the plot). And thought that when in the Assist program I should update anything that I thought might be useful (dozens but I left out things like Bentley and Ferrari). When two of these didn't appear to update (Mazda and Toyota) I did it again with less options selected. Still no joy so then decided to only update it for Suzuki GV. After about an hour of the scanner sitting there doing nothing (other than telling me it was updating) I disconnected it from the USB port. Powering on again it displayed crap on the screen and appeared to be 'bricked'. I am not happy about this but all part of life's experiences. So I have a few questions which may well apply to other Foxwell models.
1. Should you only update it for the model you want to use it on ?
2. How long should an update take ?
3. Other than buying a new one have you found any way to force a reset or is it history?
If nothing else I now have a spare cable I can leave permanently connected plus a carrying bag and a spare shell.

See less See more
#2 ·
I updated mine using the SD card on a card reader and the fox well program

I wonder if you can try that and see if it re updates and cones right. Mine took about an hour last time
Worst case I can try and take a copy of my card and see if that works on your one

#3 ·
Hmm. I left the card in the 630. I could try my card reader.
If it took an hour was this only for the single update or did you have many vehicles selected ?
And another question - will the reader start up without a card in place if you have ever tried this ?

#4 · (Edited)
Not being able to edit a reply is a pain.
I did have one thought as to why it took so long. Maybe even though I ended up only selecting the GV at the end the Assist program carried on trying to do my initial full update which is why it was taking so long.
I didn't know what the SD card was used for but maybe to copy stuff to for later printing. However during updating I did see a message come up that said I had used (or would use) 6gb of the 14gb. So obviously the SD card is used to store updates etc. If there had been any sort of explanation of just how the card is used I might have taken a copy of it first before fiddling.
Ad thanks for the info re the 3 dots. Worked great.

#6 ·
The SD card contains the full operating system, without it the unit wont boot

And that was a full update, all makes and models. Even just selecting 1 update still takes a while. I just let it do its thing and wait.

#11 ·
How to Update Foxwell NT630 Plus?

1. Visit official website:
Shenzhen Foxwell Technology Co., Ltd. and Download Update Tool: FoxScanner Installer.

2.Unzip the FoxScanner Installer and start installing the FoxScanner Installer
3. Register and Sign In via FoxScanner Installer .
4. Connect NT630 Plus with computer by USB. Or take out the sd card in the right side of the scanner and put it into card reader, then plug card reader to computer.
5.Please click the Update icon and then press the Enter Key on the scanner.
6. Then your serial number will be automatically acquired by the FoxAssist and please click "Activate" to complete.
7. Click "Download" button , Select all softwares, and then click "upgrade"

8. Wait several minutes, update will be done, enjoy new software.

Reactions: wasingdave
#12 ·
Done some further testing. Took the uSD card out and reloaded Suzuki software but no change when back in the NT630.
Some areas of the SD won't copy off. Windows test and repair for the card fails 2/3 the way through. So the card is corrupt.
I have emailed Foxwell support with a photo of the NT630 screen so will need to see what they come back with.
I suspect something I will have to try is to take 2013 up on his offer (?) to make a backup of his SD card (assuming no errors or weird SD card format) and to try creating a new card from this backup. There is a txt file in the root of the SD that contains the serial number so I can change that to my one. I can source uSD cards okay and they are very cheap and if this works then having a spare card might save trouble down the track.

#13 ·
Gimne a couple of days, ill get on the pc, copy the card into a zip file and send you a Dropbox link

#15 ·
All solved. Foxwell got back to me with the procedure to reload the uSD card. Everything is now working as it should and has been updated.
Here is how it is done with a few comments from me. Note that this could be used instead of making a backup card (or used to create a new backup card).
Insert the card into the card reader (you will probably need a uSD to SD card adapter for this).
Format the card using Windows (FAT32)
Plug card back into the scanner and plug it in to confirm you get a blue screen. Then either push Enter and move to the update mode or insert card back into the card reader for updating. Either way should work. Placing the card back into the scanner was just to make sure it had got past the corruption stage (making sure it was the card and not the scanner).
Run Foxassist, zero out all updates except for Home and Common Text Library and update. Insert back into scanner and plug it back in to confirm it is working okay.
Back into the card reader (I prefer using the card reader rather than doing it through the scanner), make sure your serial number is showing or re-input it.
Select updates as required. It will download all selected updates, then start unzipping them and reloading. It seems to deal with the smallest updates first leaving the biggest to last. Only select BMW if you really need it. It is a massive file and takes an age. When all updated (I selected 16 entries and it took well over an hour) back into the scanner and good to go.
Foxwell got back within hours of my email and the whole procedure went without any problem.

#16 ·
Good news, ill file that away in case mine ever gets corrupted

#18 ·
Depending on whether you are a paranoid type or just like to have backups of things note that the procedure above for fixing a corrupt uSD card may well not work if China decides to win back Taiwan by force. You might find that access via the internet to China might not work for a bit. In which case taking a backup of your existing card and creating a new copy may become the only way to extend the life of your Foxwell. I personally intensively dislike anything that requires for its daily operation access to the internet to work. Having a banking system mostly done via internet is bad enough but at least it may well be handled within your country (?). I know that the scanner does not require daily access but fixing a corrupt (or getting updates anyway) card does.

#19 · (Edited)
If you do the 2022 HOME update, you can no longer access customer data from the scanner; you'll have to always remove the sdcard to read it, and the scanner will no longer be recognized by USB. Foxwell says this is by design and the new version of "Home" no longer supports USB connection to PC.
Anyone familiar with technology knows removing and reinserting a micro sdcard over and over is the fastest way to ruin both the card as it scrapes the pins off the card.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.