Suzuki Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to lift my '88 Samurai a few inches and improve the overall on/off-road capabilities. Any comments on the pros/cons of this lift kit? Suggest something better?

Old Man Emu Samurai Lift

Thanks in advance guys,

Matt

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
it's a very mild lift for a lot of money. The OME springs are good quality, as are the Doestech shocks, but aren't for abusive use. If you just plan on doing some easy trail riding and on road driving they will provide the lift you need for 29" or 30" tires. The ride is not going to be AS rough as the stock springs, but it being a short spring, the OME spring will still be a pretty bumpy ride. There's not much way around that when using a short spring. If you ever get more hardcore with it and convert it to spring-over axle then you should put an anti-wrap bar on the back to keep the springs from snapping. lifted springs are tempered harder and they don't like to be bent the wrong way.

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
That kit has been out for awhile and is a proven kit. I think the 88.5 I got a few years back had that kit installed by the previous owner. Decent kit. Also easy to install in an afternoon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply guys. I spend a lot of my driving on paved roads/highway, and the rest of the time on logging roads hunting. I dont need much of a lift, just need to replace the original shocks and springs, so a few inches is all i want.

The only other springs I have looked at are Deaver springs. If I get 3" deavers am I going to need anything other than the drop arm, and brake lines? Any comment on Deavers vs OME?? From my research I think I want to stay SPUA for less body roll on the road (articulation is not a big deal for my type of off-road driving, although clearance is nice). For the amount of money I will spend on this lift is there something bigger you would suggest SPUA? New to this...

Cheers

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
its all about the application, and for your application I think this kit would be great. If you keep it under 3" then you should be fine with just the springs, shocks, brake-lines, drop pitman, and the extended swaybar mount.

·
Registered
201 Posts
i currently use OME shocks, i think the back springs are too. no idea of how old they are, but i recently replaced the front springs after i massively bent one of them. i find that they are rather capable, but a lot rougher than the new springs i use now...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I add extended shackles to this lift will I need something better than the drop pittman arm to address steering? Are there any cons to extended shackles... say for another 1.5" of lift?

Cheers guys

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
making the camber angle steeper is going to make your steering more squirly. If you use a longer shackle, you will need to shim it or re-weld the perch in the proper position so the camber angle doesn't change. Putting a 2.5-3 inch lifted spring on it and then another 1.5 inches of shackle lift you could still use the drop pitman arm, but you may need a longer one than the one supplied in the kit you're looking at. Same with the sway bar extensions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was going to do a home 2-Inch lift without a kit. But I have been offered a 2-Inch OME lift kit for $350 that is with postage from Sydney.. I am not sure exactly how good condition it is in but would this be worth buying?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
was the Home lift you were going to do involving lift springs or were you just putting longer shackles on, or were you going to do a spring over axle lift?

Same questions regarding the OME lift and what are they including in the kit?

·
Registered
10 Posts
was the Home lift you were going to do involving lift springs or were you just putting longer shackles on, or were you going to do a spring over axle lift?

Same questions regarding the OME lift and what are they including in the kit?
Ummm I was going to give it just a two inch body lift. So extended shackles.. New shocks. Keep the same springs. And put in 2 inch body blocks..
The kit includes everything.. Shocks, Bushes, Springs etc etc

1 - 11 of 11 Posts